Taking care of karate feet?

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Ryokan

Taking care of karate feet?

Post by Ryokan »

Another night at the dojo and the skin on my feet is sore from practice on hardwood floors.

How do you take good care of your feet, aside from the obvious washing and nail-clipping?
Bill Bauknecht

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

I have always had trouble with my feet because the skin would be so dry and I would get those splits all over, In working out they would get bigger and bleed, much like the splits you get on your hands, thumbs etc. I started soaking my feet in warm water with baby oil in it. Even though it made the skin softer, it did not make my feet less tough. It also took care of the splits. :idea: Worked for me.
Bill B.
Ronin1966

Post by Ronin1966 »

Wear socks & martial arts shoes as well. Being injured by the training in that manner makes little or no sense whatever. There are many out there, each with different benefits...

Jeff
Sincerely,

Jeff
~Self-Defense~: Learning how to get out of one's own way! Kara-te: Learning how to smile in the face of all things...
gmattson
Site Admin

Check out the

Post by gmattson »

discipline shoes in our store. I've been using them whenever I have to teach on a concrete surface, ground or "questionable" surfaces.

I've had mine for over a year and they still are in good condition.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Ronin1966

Re: Check out the

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Morning,

<<discipline shoes in our store.

I'm sorry. "Discipline" is the name of the line of shoes?

<<I've had mine for over a year and they still are in good condition.

Do the shoes have any type/kind of arch in them (Some brands do Adidas TKD2000, I think was one.... Pinetree maybe another?)?

Jeff
Sincerely,

Jeff
~Self-Defense~: Learning how to get out of one's own way! Kara-te: Learning how to smile in the face of all things...
gmattson
Site Admin

yes,

Post by gmattson »

the shoes have an arch in them and are light years ahead of pinetree and the other martial art shoes out there.

Discipline is the name of the line.

http://www.uechi-ryu.com/discipline/
GEM
Ronin1966

Re: yes,

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Evening ~Sire~

<<the shoes have an arch in them and are light years ahead of pinetree and the other martial art shoes out there.

I do not have any, therefore I cannot say...

Why are they "ahead" lightyears or otherwise? Please articulate more about them, if you would....

Enquiring minds would love to know more please,
Jeff
Sincerely,

Jeff
gmattson
Site Admin

light years..

Post by gmattson »

1. More durible. My Pinetrees fell apart after a couple months of heavy use.

2. More comfortable. The Disciplines "fit" is better then the Pinetree.

3. Sturdy. The Disciplines offer more support than the Pinetree.

4. "Tread" design is superior. Feels like you are in your bare feet.

Hope this helps.
GEM
Ronin1966

Re: light years..

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Morning,

<<My Pinetrees fell apart after a couple months of heavy use.

Hummmngh. Must be all that Uechi toe kicking :wink: that does it...

<<More comfortable. The Disciplines "fit" is better then the Pinetree.

DO you mean a wider show box? Or something else?

<<Sturdy. The Disciplines offer more support than the Pinetree.

Uses a double arch system? Or some type of an arch? If, if I remember rightly, a summary lack of arches were the one drawback on the Pinetree shoes? These disciplines have the "side arch" which most sneakers possess? Are there other arches? (NOTE: I'm going to run out of ~shoe vocabulaty~ really fast, hope my thoughts/questions are coherent thus far...?)

<<4. "Tread" design is superior. Feels like you are in your bare feet.

TRACTION :o ?!?!?! Wow.... I am a big fan of having traction. Been contemplating some type of wrestling shoe, but the ones I've tried never have sufficent traction for my tastes anyway...

Appreciate your responses to my questions... thank you!

Jeff
Sincerely,

Jeff
gmattson
Site Admin

questions

Post by gmattson »

<<My Pinetrees fell apart after a couple months of heavy use.

Hummmngh. Must be all that Uechi toe kicking that does it...

<<More comfortable. The Disciplines "fit" is better then the Pinetree.

DO you mean a wider show box? Or something else?
The Pinetrees material didn't dry the way the Disciplines do. My feet sweat a lot wearing any shoe during a workout. The Pinetrees dried stiff and the stitches rotted out after a relatively short time. The soles separated as well.

Comfort: I don't know what you mean be "show box". By comfort I simply mean that wearing them felt good. The material didn't stretch out or pinch at the ankles.
GEM
Ronin1966

Re: questions

Post by Ronin1966 »

<< The Pinetrees material didn't dry the way the Disciplines do. My feet sweat a lot wearing any shoe during a workout.

Understood. Bottoms of my feet sweat frequently, shoed or not.

<<Comfort: I don't know what you mean be "show box".

I am sorry. :oops:

Shoebox in a normal shoe refers (I believe) to the portion of the shoe from mid-foot forward to the ends of the toes. Specifically I believe it refers to wherether or not the toes are too squished (ie in a dress shoe) or if they possess the correct amount of room...

In my case I tend to need a wider shoe/shoebox to be comfortable.

<<The material didn't stretch out or pinch at the ankles.

Excellent. I was hoping some others might pop-in on this topic, given there are MANY folks now wearing such shoes. No matter, I appreciate your time & efforts re: these shoes,

Look forward to your response when time allows,

Jeff
Sincerely,

Jeff

Return to “Special Needs”