web address

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

mikemurphy

web address

Post by mikemurphy »

Dear Scott,

I was hoping you may be able to answer a question for me. Not being as web savy as I would like to be, I decided to create my own web page for my dojo. The one I have now, which was created for me is old and tired and very difficult to change things in. So, I thought I would save some money and make one from the Geocities site where they will host it for free; however, I would like to keep my domain address of uechi-ryuamerica.com. How can I do that when Geocities gives me another address?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

mike
eric235u

Post by eric235u »

Hi. I've never used GeoCities services but I would wager that since domain name registration costs money then you would have to sign up for a non-free subscription to keep your domain name. Then have that domain name transerred over to the new website account.

Unless you pay to keep the website address separately from the free website host and use a service similar to http://www.dyndns.com/ I believe you will have to combine the services. Paying one person for the domain name and having visitors forwarded to your free website doesn't seem cost effective.

Another option may be that you have a friend who gets several domain names from a non-free account and doesn't mind adding your website address to his account and then redirects visitors to your free account. That way you don't have to spend any money.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the thread. Hopefully that information is useful. - Eric.
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Eric,

Thanks for the info, and no, I don't mind at all. But, I'm not a computer junkie, so I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. I have paid for the domain name from register.com, but the site is hosted at a place called infoquest.

I guess my question would be whether I can switch the from infoquest to geocities without a problem.

I apologize for really being stupid about this, especially if you have already answered this and I didn't get it.

thanks,

mike
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Don't feel stupid, I'm not all saavy with web accounts. Geocities may have a policy of being able to transfer web addresses. I am sure there is a way you can keep your web name.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,

You can go to the people who you bought your domain from (register.com). and make changes to your account usually like e-mails available and where they are directed to. You also can direct what url your current domain goes to. You might have to search around to find where this is done.

For example my www.hinghamkarate.com actually goes to www.hinghamkarate.freeservers.com which is a free hosting service. They have easy templates I just punch in text or photos on.

You could have multiple domains go to the same address if you had other ones like www.uechiryuamerica.net or uechi-ryuamerica.com for example.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,

This might lead you in the right direction.
http://www.register.com/retail/product/ ... 8C.euapp03

But you probably have to log in to your account first.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Fred & Scott,

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out and see what happens.

Another quick question for you guys. I'm having trouble saving .gif files on my computer. It's really weird since the files are not that complicated, and it's a newer computer (2 years). I don't understand it. I can copy a picture on the web (gif) and "save as" into mypictures or into a "web" folder, but it won't take the picture. It says that there is a problem with the picture, but I find that hard to believe.

Is there something my computer is doing that I can change?

thanks,

mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

If having that much trouble I print it and scan it and save it as a jpeg.

I just had someone send me a jpeg which I could view but after saving it couldn't view the file in my documents. The windows picture viewer finally brought it up and I printed it and did the same as above.

There's probably a better techy way of doing it but my way works so I'm sticking to it.

A two year old computer which I have also is quickly getting left behind.

I need a new one just for my video stuff alone.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
willisan

Post by willisan »

mikemurphy wrote:Eric,

I have paid for the domain name from register.com, but the site is hosted at a place called infoquest.

I guess my question would be whether I can switch the from infoquest to geocities without a problem.
Sorry for the bump..

FYI - register.com is 35 a year... I do my domains through godaddy.com, which are from 7-9 a year.

I also use a hosting package through them for 5-10 a month. You may not want to spend money on hosting, but if it is something that the public will see, and you want to reflect well on you, then you do not want a free hosting service. Free services all have banner ads or other ads that take away from the professional appearance of your site.

There are also many web tools that come with these hosting packages that are very, very useful. I have been impressed with godaddy's offerings.

If you have questions email me. I will be happy to help anyone here with their web questions.

Will Hannigan
will AT meantide.com
eric235u

Post by eric235u »

holy crap willisan, talk about posting to an old thread. this things six months old! you just wanted to say hi?

the orginal post was about paying for a domain name and using a free hosting service. seems like a waste to me. if you're going to pay, basic hosting packages are so cheap and come with free domain registration. i'm sure they would let you bring your domain name over if you wanted. i prefer to have everything in one place and use Yahoo! see:
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php
i enjoy managed services like yahoo because i don't have the time to run my own bsd or linux servers (though i used to) but do have the time to fiddle around with php and mysql, both of which are offered by yahoo and many other hosting services. so you could download free software like this forum or the main uechi site and build a neat dynamic website if you felt like it. it's all about what you want, how much time you have, blah blah blah.

but there's plenty of other options... since this is an ancient thread, what did you end up doing mike?
willisan

Post by willisan »

Yes, it was old....but I see too many bad hosting choices out there. I know most people do not do web stuff for a living, so just wanted to put in what I tend to use for clients.

I've used both Yahoo Hosting and GoDaddy (even used to work for Yahoo! Store) and think that godaddy's offerings are better, and more cost effective.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/ ... asp?ci=260
eric235u

Post by eric235u »

i tend to prefer yahoo if you're going to use a 'name'. but if you're really sharp i think it's best to use a local hosting provider. if the guy down the street is running his own *nix servers, and you can just tap him on the shoulder, hand him a beer and say fix my site. it sure beats yahoo or godaddy anyday. about two years ago yahoo had some serious problems with their mysql backups (they have a browser based backup utility) and i noticed it and told the yahoo. (didn't really effect me, i just make my backups via phpmyadmin.) by the time i actually made it through the various levels of off shore contract help desks (hello, pujabby provence india speaking) the guy was like, 'yeah it's broken and we're trying to find somebody to fix it.' they finally did fix it and for the last year their service has been very good. i've had similar experiences with other international brands. but with local guys, you can walk over to their house and put them in a shime waza. so the real deal is using a local guy who has his servers at some colo and can give you sound personalized service. i bet we agree more than we disagree probably.

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”