"Get up stand up"

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
f.Channell

"Get up stand up"

Post by f.Channell »

One of the things lacking in uechi-ryu is training to get up quickly.
Defense from a seiza or kneeling position is common in the Japanese martial arts of Jujitsu, Judo, Iaido and modern MMA.
A drill I live to do is from Joe Pomfret and is a great drill to do with kids or adults.
Start on your left side, with weight on your right foot and left hand and your left leg extended.
Pull your left leg in and stand up quickly to a fighting stance position.
You can brace and push off someones leg with your left foot to rise even faster.
This drill develops those muscles in your legs which don't really get worked.
You will get better at it and get a good workout.
Add responding to a command with the kids to aid in listening skills, not that adults couldn't benefit from it either!

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
gmattson
Site Admin

Joe Pomfret

Post by gmattson »

has some great drills in his two dvds. We've been using them here in Florida since I began teaching here.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
JOHN THURSTON

Getting Up

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Well, for better or worse this forum is next to my own, seems relatively quiet (until recently) and the drill set forth by Fred is a good drill. I will note later that what I will write will seem close to what Fred has written.

When we practice 'getting up" (and i must add I have a hard time visualizing drills without pics where I have not seen them before) we assume that we have been knocked or thrown down.

Since Sensei Fred is accomplishished is Judo and jiu jitsu I am assuming (dangerous) that he is starting from the same general area.

First of all when you 'get put down" you must fall correctly, or getting up is a moot point, and I am not kidding on this "point" in the slightest as you will, in all probablility, not be gettiing up if you do not fall properly.

Fred is MUCH more experienced in teaching breakfalls, and I defer to him in this area.

However, this forum is not so busy that I feel we are limited by much so I will stick my neck out and encourage discussion of any training drills that would prove enlightning .

The Okk Sanseirui Bunkai (now changed so many times in the choreography without meaningful changes in the techniques :( )that I am mildly annoyed. But it it is a good Bunkai prettty much in all of the versions I have learned. (I think this will be the 4th).

Passing over that matter of "pique"; the first principle would seem to start before you find yourself on the floor, mat, pavement or whatever.

You must KNOW the Judo front fall, side fall and back fall. If you don't, you are probably not going to get up and further discussionmight be considered pointless.

But I KNOW this is not the case with Fred Sensei or any of his students.

There are Four throwdowns in our present Sanseirui Bankai.

Three necessitate side falls and the fourth is is difficult throw to properly fall from and I will have to go over it with my Judo Ranked student before commenting.

After landing in a side fall, let's assume one landing to the left side, the points you should have landed on are the left leg (outside thereof) the left hip, the left deltoid and the left arm. If a Judo breakfall, one slaps the ground with, in this case, the left hand. The Right leg is either uncommited or, hopefully, raised and pointed in the direction from which you were thrown.

As soon as possible raise up on your left elbow, and put your right arm and right leg and foot between you and your attacker.

If the attacker notes that you can still defend yourelf well from the ground and backs off, resume the standing position in the manner that is the most efficient for YOU.

You sort of have to determine the manner of this rise dependent on your own body and I take this thought from comments made by my T'ai Chi Sifu.

If someone asks, I will practice mine to the point where I can cogently explain it.

However, if the attack continues, first try and drive the attacker back with a side thrust kick with your right foot, then, if you wish to stand, do so immediately using the gained time and space. do this by rolling to your left so that you are supported by both hands, your back is upwards facing and your two bent legs are also supprting you. Preferably your are on your toes as in a push up position, but not as "stretched out lengthwise"

If you have timed it right and gone to the correct position you should then be able to deliver a back mule kick (ushiro geri) to drive the attacker off again or further if need be.

Then you bring the kicking foot back as far under you as you can, take a short running step, and you are "up" albeit retreating from your attacker
d with your back to him, not the best of positions.

Where you go next is really up to you and the situation.

If you are fast enough ( I am probably NOT) and properly motivated you can run out of Dodge if you wish.

I will not post further "get me ups" until I hear fred's comments and until I have read and reread his initial post several times.

We now have a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Instructor in our Dojo (seperate class time) and when my Spanish improves, I can comment on these situations in a more erudite manner.

I can also post pictures, and may take some for posting this week.

This "drill" seems very similar to Fred's and I await his comments.

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Fighting Drills”