High school coach must stop hypnotherapy sessions

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

High school coach must stop hypnotherapy sessions

Post by Bill Glasheen »

When I read this, I got to thinking about the myriad meditative sessions I've been a part of for various endeavors. Allegedly we in the martial arts work very hard on a mindset that helps us control our neurohormonal responses to a life-threatening encounter. It isn't a lot different in sports. UVa had a sports psychologist on the faculty who taught in physical education programs and worked with the various teams when a need was raised.

Part of me gives the big shrug when seeing how this coach seemingly grasped at straws to turn a "rebuilding" season around. But then this coach is a winner, having brought his high school team to a state championship and then runner up the subsequent year. He's been there, so he knows a few things about getting it done.

I'll reserve some of my comments for now.

NPR Audio story is at the below hyperlink

Kansas Hoops Coach Told To Stop Hypnotizing Team

This is the story in FanNation
Kansas prep hoops coach told to stop hypnotizing team

Two years after winning a Kansas state championship and one year after losing in the title game, the hoops team at St. John-Hudson High is struggling through a rebuilding season.

Looking for ways to improve the team's focus and concentration, coach Clint Kinnamon embraced an unorthodox solution: hypnotism.

Almost every member of the team underwent a pair of 45-minute sessions last week after Kinnamon obtained permission from "about 90 percent" of the parents, according to Wichita Eagle reporter Beccy Tanner, who spoke on NPR's All Things Considered yesterday about the unusual story.

But the school board voted to stop the sessions Monday, saying the practice was "not appropriate."

"It won't be going on anymore at school," superintendent James Kenworthy said. "If parents want their child to do that, they can contact the licensed therapist on their own."

Hypnotizing students perhaps sends the wrong message to students and surrounding schools, said Kenworthy, who has requested a transcript of the sessions.

"At the high school level, it's not appropriate. We are trying to get kids to understand who they are and what they are. It may give kids a mixed message if you can't do it on your own."

Do you think a high school team could benefit from hypnotism? Would you give your permission if your child's coach proposed hypnosis sessions for the entire team?
- Bill
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

I don't know what I would do. It seems a bit "over the top" for high school, but top-level competition demands commitment, I guess.

Is hypnotism effective? Is it even real?
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

"Is hypnotism effective? Is it even real?"

Hypnotism is suggestion, and suggestion is very real. Happens every time someone talks to you, or you see an advertisement, see a billboard, etc.

You could say that everyone in the whole world has been hypnotized by their parents and everyone they have come across. Also everything they have had fed to them through television and media.

It's suggestion, and that's what people do to each other.

I don't practice hypnotism (except self-hypnosis), but I understand that if you can suggest things in such a way that they are not filtered by the rational part of the mind, they will enter the subconscious, and become part of the "sense of reality" of the hypnotized.

Interesting how everyone has there own "sense of reality", when we're all in the same place.
Josann

Post by Josann »

Hypnosis is not only "real" but is an important part of traditional martial arts, especially karate. Properly done kata practice is self hypnosis. When you visualize the opponent, or walk through techniques in your mind you are doing hypnosis, whether you think you are or not. i think most of us in uechi do a lot of hypnosis, especially those of us that do kata daily as a way to drill in skills, relax, center, focus or whatever.

Too bad that stage hypnosis has given the public such misconceptions about is a natural state of mind with great benefits for a whole range of issues. Like Five Dragons I do self hypnosis daily. For most people it is fare easier to learn than meditation and to my mind has a lot more practical applications.

Whether we call it guided imagery, visualization, progressive relaxation or even kata, it's all hypnosis and certainly nothing to fear. The American Medical Association and even the Catholic Church approved of it in 1958 for use. I highly doubt either of these two organizations would use an evil or dangerous practice.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

In my last semester of undergraduate engineering when I had already been accepted to graduate school, I got a major case of "senior punt." I just couldn't bring myself to concentrate on subjects that didn't matter very much to me. And they were difficult enough to require an extraordinary amount of concentration and work.

My solution? I went to Student Health and had a psychologist use hypnotism with me. It was no biggie. I didn't feel the "woo woo" and I didn't want to stand up on my chair and cluck like a chicken. All she did was help me clear my mind and help me get back in gear.

I don't know if the hypnosis helped or not. There was no randomized trial for me. But I do know that I got my undergraduate diploma, and subsequently my PhD.

These days when life gets too crazy, I rely on going to the gym to teach and to work out. And I also seek out certain kinds of work that bring me into my "zen mind." A lot of it is about making the mental background chatter go away. You can do that a number of different ways - including engaging in a physical workout where you exhaust your body and make it want to relax. After a lifetime of being an athlete and a martial artist, my mind-body connection is very strong. I take full advantage of it.

- Bill
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

Well, based on these testimonials, I'd say those Kansas folks are wrong. Hell, my academically underachieving son might even benefit...
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

It's certainly better for you than ritalin! And yet parents are quick to put their kids on the stuff so they'll do better in school.

But teach the mind to take charge of its destiny? Blasphemy!

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”