Bruce Lee and Jim Maloney

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Shane Kirk

Post by Shane Kirk »

I think the difference between someone like Maloney and many others, without being offensive, is that he is genetically programmed for war...
Yet you have an individual whom is seemingly opposed to the “silliness” of it all… “it has nothing to do with the training”…“focus”… “stay strong mentally”… “remain focused”… “let’s work”….
Having time on my hands one day I began to explore this box with Dave Ryan. I pulled a photo of Lee trying to kick Jimmy from the box. (The same one as in the tread) I asked him holding up the photo, Sensei who’s this guy? His response…ohh just some skinny Chinese guy I met in Boston. Maloney could careless, it wasn’t important it gathered dust. He had met a movie star once, he could careless, and it had nothing to do with training.

I look at Dave after Jimmy moved to work with Ralph (Canadian middleweight boxing champion Ralph Hollett) on the pads. Dave said yeah that’s Bruce Lee, I asked him about it once too. He told me if you want to get your picture taken with a movie star try for an actress.
I spoke of “IT” earlier in this thread…
I suspect some folks on this forum have experienced Sensei Maloney look into your soul for a brief moment prior to that “Explosive Attack” that soon follows… good luck capturing “IT” on video or film and better luck interpreting “IT” and yet even better luck incorporating “IT” into your system of fighting.
“IT”?...

Genetically programmed? Warrior? Survivor? Disciplined? Focused? Lineage? Gifted? We can hypothesize for hours, days, weeks as to what the “IT” factor is…

Sensei Maloney has "IT" and has remained steadfast in his commitment to the way of Uechi… and the Uechi family… he has remained Core Uechi, he has helped produced more Canadian champions than any other trainer in Canadian ring history, Pro ranks…boxing, kick boxing, tournaments at every level and occasionally 8) through disqualification for being a bit excessive :twisted: :twisted:

Some of you may be surprised to know tuition at Sensei Maloney’s Dojo’s or Boxing Club is to abstain for alcohol, drugs or nicotine…. This is the price of admission… access to some of the best training available and the fee is self preservation…

“IT”??

A phenomenal fighter, a true friend to those whom have had the privilege, an ambassador and ombudsman to his community, a Uechi Practitioner whom has remained focus on exploring his own art, challenging elements of the methodology adapting to an every changing violent society, never abandoning his belief in a system for that of popularity or for the purpose of meeting a financial goal set…

Godspeed….
Shane.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Amen :D
Van
Van Canna

more opinions on Maloney...

Post by Van Canna »

....from people who knew him well and studied under him. The opinions of students and peers and friends...and the respect of the competition is what makes a man
Van, I’m glad to see this thread back on track. Pleased the WC troll was sent packing.

I’ve enjoyed Shane’s comments and yours. The thread is now a celebration of a very remarkable warrior as it should have been all along. Shane is correct, Sensei Maloney has “IT” and most people can’t define”IT” or have even experienced “IT”.

The romantics like write how the eyes are the mirrors of our soul. That may well be, but there are those who walk among us who have looked in Maloney’s eyes and have seen death.

Like those two punks you met on the hunting trip. People who have looked in his eyes and realized that they are looking at their own demise, what a life altering experience it must be.

He is one of Uechi’s treasures!

~ Laird
Yup it is there...like one convict in jail who found out the hard way.

Jim entered the jail cell to 'interview him'...a big fat tough POS...tough in his own mind I guess.

The guards witnessed the convict try to grab Maloney by the chest with both arms...then saw Maloney short stop him by using the entry, both hands, 3rd move of Seisan after the first three sanchin arm trusts...next fly into the con's face with his right knee, by first jumping up with his left knee, to gain momentum, then bring his right knee up and slam into the con's chin...knocking him out. :lol:

Lucky for the con that the guards were just outside the cell.

There is 'something coiled' inside Maloney that explodes with fury when least expected. 8O
Van
robb buckland

Mr Hawkins...This Aint Horse Hockey !!!!

Post by robb buckland »

:twisted: "And for all my critiques of the guy being overrated, im pretty sure he was a pretty good fighter, im not knocking that aspect of him. Just the 'Martial arts saint' image of the guy."

I'm confident we have not met , and I'm sorry to have appeared to have implied that you lack knowlege , skill , or heart .....I DONT KNOW YOU WELL ENOUGH FOR THAT.But you certainly don't lack ignorance. You sir need to learn to choose your battles (like the grizzly). :lol: :lol: :lol:

FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
AAAhmed46

Re: Mr Hawkins...This Aint Horse Hockey !!!!

Post by AAAhmed46 »

robb buckland wrote: :twisted: "And for all my critiques of the guy being overrated, im pretty sure he was a pretty good fighter, im not knocking that aspect of him. Just the 'Martial arts saint' image of the guy."

I'm confident we have not met , and I'm sorry to have appeared to have implied that you lack knowlege , skill , or heart .....I DONT KNOW YOU WELL ENOUGH FOR THAT.But you certainly don't lack ignorance. You sir need to learn to choose your battles (like the grizzly). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just saying that critique of bruce lee is not critique of wing chun.

No battles here.

Now if we were talking about Yip man? Yeah, maybe i can see it like that. But bruce lee? Nah.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I seem to recall a video clip of Yip man against a WC master years back, that everyone was criticizing on these forums and other forums...as looking like a couple of beginners flailing around instead of a display of masterful techniques at that level.

And also that particular critique brought out Mr. 'Horse Hockey' into a fray on my page.

Simply a delusional compulsion about 'style' by someone with a chip on his shoulder regarding Uechi. :( that we had to suffer through on these pages for years.

If I recall correctly...'Horse Hockey' was then going under another name on the forums when he disappeared then made a comeback :lol:
Van
robb buckland

horse hockey questions from the bench......

Post by robb buckland »

:D When one plays a game of horse hockey isnt it proper form to use one of those 'chips' in leu of a puck ????
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Van Canna wrote:I seem to recall a video clip of Yip man against a WC master years back, that everyone was criticizing on these forums and other forums...as looking like a couple of beginners flailing around instead of a display of masterful techniques at that level.

And also that particular critique brought out Mr. 'Horse Hockey' into a fray on my page.

Simply a delusional compulsion about 'style' by someone with a chip on his shoulder regarding Uechi. :( that we had to suffer through on these pages for years.

If I recall correctly...'Horse Hockey' was then going under another name on the forums when he disappeared then made a comeback :lol:
Which one, bruce lee's teacher or his successor?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Van Canna wrote:I seem to recall a video clip of Yip man against a WC master years back, that everyone was criticizing on these forums and other forums...as looking like a couple of beginners flailing around instead of a display of masterful techniques at that level.
Are you sure about a Yip Man fight video? I've never heard of a video of Yip Man fighting another WC master.
I was dreaming of the past...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Maybe not, Mike, my recollection is vague on this other than the BS we had to put up with from that guy.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

But then I find this
Yip Man was a student of Chan Wah Shun in Fatshan province of China. He studied with Chan for about 3 years where he had numerous fights as a teenager who was known to have quite a temper. He then went from mainland China to Hong Kong to attend college. During this time, he heard of an old Master who lived on a boat. He challenged the Master only to be beaten.
Van
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

deleted by author
CANDANeh

So long ago...

Post by CANDANeh »

Léo
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Nice kakushiken demo!
Mike
Bill Glasheen

Re: So long ago...

Post by Bill Glasheen »

"Others" would include a very young Bobby Campbell.

Decades ago (1976) in the Cambridge and Hancock dojo, Bobby told me he sucked at flying kicks. (I made a comment that his flying kicks would be better after having gotten sick in Okinawa and lost a lot of weight.) Hmm... I beg to differ. That was some serious hang time for a very tall man.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”