Hello to All

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

Stevie B

Hello to All

Post by Stevie B »

My name is Steven Brigante. I began Uechi Ryu in 1990 under Sensei Ric Martin in Largo, FL.. In 1994 I enlisted in the Marine Corps and went to Okinawa, Japan and began to train with the Okinawan Masters. I remained in Okinawa until 2003 where I was trained by Kiyohide Shinjo Sensei at the Kadena Dojo. I run a small Dojo in Strongsville, OH and was recently honored by Master Mark Brelsford coming and working with us. I hope to continue on a straight path in Uechi Ryu and enjoy meeting and corresponding with other Uechi Ka through out the World... Yoroshiku Onegaishimas....
gmattson
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums Steve. . .

Post by gmattson »

Looking forward to hearing more about your training on Okinawa and experiences there.

Best,
George
Stevie B

The Rock...

Post by Stevie B »

Well like I said, I hit it as a PFC in 94'. I trained with Seiki Irei Sensei when I first came there.. I earned my Shodan under Ric Martin Sensei before I joined the Corps.. Had met Shinjo Sensei and Narahiro Sensei in Florida during the Koshukais in the early 90's... I had a long conversation with Peter Kellogg in 93' and he urged me to come over.. I knew how Alan had made it over, so I decided to try it..

Anyway in 98' I transfered to Kadena to train under Kiyohide Sensei, and stayed there untill I left due to divorce in late 2003. I spent Saturdays and Sundays performing Demos at Ryu Kyu Mura, and weekdays in the Dojo for about 2 1/2-3 hours a night... Then out to the snacks and Izakayas after that... Ended up owning a couple of Bars on Gate 2 Street ( where Peter would come and play his harmonica with his blues band on the weekends) and just had a great time all in all!! Of course had some good real life training on Gate 2 and B.C. Street as well because of my profession.. LOL
You can check me out on Facebook at "Uechi Ryu Kenyukai Strongsville OH" ... And hope anyone interested will drop by..
I am the American that Shinjo Sensei is performing the Kadena Kumite with on the videos you see.. Also I am the one demonstrating with him and his son Shuichi on the "Secrets of Okinawan Karate" videos.
I guess just to make a long story somewhat short, it has just been a wonderful experience all and all, and I wouldn't trade it for the World.. I have made a few good friends along the way, and a few not so good friends :) but, I do love Uechi Ryu and enjoy training on pretty much a daily basis, and now have the pleasure of passing a little of what I had the opportunity to learn on to a few fine young folks..
I hope if anyone ever gets to Ohio, they won't hesitate to come in and workout with us... We are right outside of Cleveland.. New territory for Uechi!!!
Last edited by Stevie B on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmattson
Site Admin

Very interesting Steve. . .

Post by gmattson »

If you send me specific details on your dojo. . . address, tel number, city, I will post it on our dojo/instuctor list.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Stevie B

Thank you very much!!!

Post by Stevie B »

Steven Brigante
19207 Howe Rd.
Strongsville, OH 44136
(440) 773-5485
call for class schedule or stevebrigante@yahoo.com

Thank you very much George Sensei.. :D
Fliptop

Post by Fliptop »

hi guys.

newbie here too from Arkansas.

nice to meet you all guys.

I love exploring the web specially the sites that interest me.

hope i can learn a lot from this site and to have a great time

with you guys.

Return to “Member Introductions”