Infighting in Self Defense

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Josann

Infighting in Self Defense

Post by Josann »

Hi Art,
I found this video from Tony Blauer and his SPEAR system describing a self protection system that he's created. he describes many of the identical principles that you have described in your videos about infighting and utilizing sanchin principles. He, like you, and hopefully most of us who study uechi, is a fan of open hands and forearms/elbows as weapons for close in combat. At the 10 minute mark he really gets into what you are also teaching.Shows how applicable what uechi has to offer and validates what you are teaching.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Art Rabesa

Re: Infighting in Self Defense Mr. Blauer

Post by Art Rabesa »

Well Josann, I"m glad you saw validation in Mr. Blauer's video. Infighting is not difficult to figure out. When you get REAL close, everything has to be shortened. However, these short strikes must still hit hard. The forearms and elbows become the main weapons when working close. Much practice in learning how to deliver these strikes is needed. Check my web site ------- www.artrabesauechiryu.com ------ click on the striking section of the uechi ryu wheel. Here you will find what you are looking for. -------- Happy Trails ------- Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Infighting in Self Defense

Post by Art Rabesa »

This post was August 2014. I like to go over past posts to see if I can clarify, or add to them. Since I do a lot of infighting training and teaching, I thought I would tackle this one again. The term "Self Defense" always brings lots of varied opinions. Everyone agrees that it has it's own category. Since most self defense situations come out of nowhere, it can get real close real fast. When you're able to detect the danger and prepare yourself, fight or flight can occur. When you're suddenly assaulted, flight can not be on the table. This is when many victims become VICTIMS. To find yourself face to face, and belly to belly with the attacker can be quite a shock. Without close quarter training, freezing can, and does happen. It's close, and you must be able to strike hard from this distance. On the ground is the closest. Being able to strike on the ground is a must. What I can do on my feet, I can do on the ground. This is taught as well. I've said many times ..."Training only gives you a better chance". In self defense, you want better odds. Good training gives you better odds than someone with no training. So you want to put a good deal of emphasis on being able to strike well from real tight. If "Infighting in Self Defense?" is put as a question. My answer is "What Do You Think?" I've got tons of videos and posts on infighting. I sure hope there are some that are getting something from them. -------Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

At times, you have no other choice. You're in it and there is no getting out. Can't flee, can't seek help, you're all you've got. Got to get it done by yourself. Okay!! Is that clear enough? Fight or flight is not the question. There is no flight. NOW! That training that you have is called in. However, that training doesn't help you with the sudden awareness of the assault. That frozen moment when you now realize that you're in some deep crap. Get yourself clear and snap in. You might be lucky enough to survive that window of shock. You might not make it if you allow another assault. All this might take only a few seconds. You've always lead your life in an orderly mild manner. You're not prone to violence at all. This makes you a very nice person - a good parent - spouse - friend - co worker - VICTIM. Yes victim. Not right at this moment my friend. Time to flip that switch I keep talking about. Because, the only way you're going to come out of this is to unload on that attacker or attackers. Become a rabid, crazed beast. Sounds nuts - I know. Guess what-- it's what you must do in this survival situation. You can go back to being that real nice person later. Right now, that person will get you killed. Tough to realize that reality, but it is what it is. The in fighting training is most likely the part of your instruction that will get you out of there. These strikes come fast and do lots of damage. This is what is needed right now. I've gone past the original question of "Infighting in Self Defense"? The regular viewers to this forum know by now that I can get a little carried away at times. I know. Depending on the topic however. This one makes me slightly uneasy. Making me uneasy is never a good thing to do. But --it is what it is. ----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

That's one great post Art.

The shock of the moment when we come to realize, this is not the dojo, this is not the tournament I won, this is not the forum discussion I am on, this is not the class I am teaching...can be a great paralyzing moment as you point out _that affects our decision making in a fearful realization this could be the 'end of days' for us.

It is like the story I related of the tournament black belt champion who's head was cut off by the Jamaican gangbanger in the stairwell...and just lately...the nut-cake at the silver city Galleria mall who went berserk with a knife, stabbing and killing, stabbing a good Samaritan in the head, before he came under 'target acquisition' by a shopper who coolly dropped on one knee, to steady his concealed carry pistol ...then firing a single round in his belly killing him.Image look at this pos
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Josann posted the question pertaining to the use of in fighting ability in a self defense situation two years ago. Since then, I've posted many topics and completed several lesson videos on the subject. Close quarter work is not viewed the same in MA circles. Some place too much on it, while others do not deal with it at all. That in itself is a good topic for debate. Getting back to Josann's original question of in fighting importance. My (hopefully unbiased) opinion is that it is very important. Because self defense is the great unknown. The mystery comes fast and clouded. Usually, you are thrust into another without any warning. There's no warning signal in the attacks reality. BAM! you're in it. No close quarter training?? There will be pushing and grabbing, and back peddling. Your hands are right there but your looking for a little more room. You practice punching and kicking in your classes, but this is not fair. You have to get some distance to get that kick off. You want to push away so you can deliver that punch you practice in the dojo. Well---I don't know if it will go down this way, but I bet I'm not to far off. Knowing how to work real close, and being able to hit hard real close, is missing for this victim. Seconds is what we are talking about here. That's usually all the time you have to figure out what you are able to do. You want hard boiled close quarter muscle memory snapping in NOW! You need strikes that will do lots of damage fast. Sometimes it's only one or two strikes. Do you want to finish him (or them), or get yourself out of there? Good infighting ability will give you a better chance to get that escape window open. Now --get the hell out of there. That's really what you're looking for. That's why I practice, and teach, close strikes. Not fighting, but close leg thrusts and power strikes. It takes practice like everything else we do in our training. However, this just might be needed more than anything else in your training. SO----that's why I've done so many close quarter videos. In hopes that it will aid in the training of infighting, or just to be able to hit hard close. A long answer to Josann's question, but you all know by now that I do not have short answers. I'm working on that. -------Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

No question about it. In fighting is a life saver, and it is a defensive component worthy of incessant practice along with the other aspects of personal protection.

And another very effective strike to think about is the vicious head butt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjWi663kXc
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Okay -- However, I have seen Van Canna's head butt in a realistic encounter. Sounded like a melon hitting a tile floor from two stories up. Plus --it came from about seven feet away. That guy will never forget that one. I still remember that sound.
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”