KATA CONSTRUCTION

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

KATA CONSTRUCTION

Post by Art Rabesa »

I always relate kata to an extension of sanchin. "Take sanchin with you", is my constant suggestion when teaching any kata. Once the kata is learned, the work begins. Make sure every movement is understood. Analyze what is involved in the series of movements. What's going on here? What are we showing you here? One of the main things to work on is the "station to station" mentality. Getting in the stance and performing the movements / then moving to the next stance and doing the same. I want to work on traveling from one foundation to another in a smooth "one piece" movement. That means keeping that stance , and it's sanchin foundation, into the next series. Since you can move your arms faster than your legs, all blocks must be coordinated to end as the foot ends. You do this by waiting longer to block. This will force you to really explode your blocks to coordinate with the feet. Your feet are actually into the next stance as you begin the block. This is the "Moving in one piece", that I keep expressing. Feet and hands ending at the same time. Carrying the hands throughout the kata in sanchin. Moving into all your movements with the hands leading. When turning ---get the hands around first and not the arms. When I'm teaching you'll hear, "Show me your hands", constantly. The hands are leading you into the next series. You want to slide into the next stance with the hands right there for that exploding block. Tie everything together in a strong package. The head is not bobbing up and down throughout the kata. Head remains at the same level. Please realize that there is only about a 3 inch difference between a sanchin stance and a deep ( horse stance ) stance. Your head does not move much in going from one to another. Now all the strikes involved in the kata are delivered from sanchins power base. How you perform your sanchin thrust is how you perform all the kata strikes , and blocks. There's more to work on but this will get you started. To construct a strong kata, that also looks good, work these principles. -----Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: KATA CONSTRUCTION - MIND SET

Post by Art Rabesa »

As students begin to advance, it would be a good time to introduce the "mind set" of kata training. Get them out of just looking at their kata as a series of movements. It is time to visualize. Bring the image of that attack into your kata work. When you move from one movement to another, you are facing an attack. This must be visualized as you are moving into that next movement. The intensity you have in your prearranged sets, should be carried into your kata. I can detect the lack of, or inclusion of this when I view a kata performance. Seeing the attacker is a must if you want your kata to have a realistic feel to it. It also will look much better. Something to think about when preparing for a dan test. -----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: KATA CONSTRUCTION

Post by Art Rabesa »

Hope this helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEnJzO ... QSdCUh3_gA -----Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: KATA CONSTRUCTION-FIGHTING

Post by Art Rabesa »

When you combine the teaching of kata and fighting, you will get back a well rounded student. He / she will understand that the two are linked. I like to refer to fighting movements ,and strikes, in the same breath as something in a particular kata.When going into that movement in the kata, relate it to either an attacking, or eluding fighting movement. When set in a stance, the strikes are delivered crisp and strong. Let this relate to infighting, because that is exactly what it is. All kata kicks are delivered with a penetrating look, as in fighting. All kata strikes are performed moving into the movement, and exploding it in one piece. This is exactly what you do when fighting. Moving cleanly, and smoothly, from one segment of the kata to the next. This is what you do with your opponent, or attacker. Never isolate the two. Always tying kata and fighting into one unit. The kata will be better -- and so will the fighting. I actually won more kata competitions than fighting. A little known fact. Not important, but something I smile about. -----Happy Trails----- Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: KATA CONSTRUCTION -- lesson

Post by Art Rabesa »

I'll be doing a lesson ( or lessons ) on kata shortly. Both the teaching and performing kata. Kata is very important in the training, and I'd like to go over details that I hold important. Stay tuned to "Art's Lesson" thread. I mentioned this in my first post here. It's very important in forming a kata so I'll run it by you once more. When you are practicing, or teaching, kata, pay attention to getting your hands and head around first on turns. Head and hands are there before the feet are settled in that next stance. Practice this. There's more ----- keep watch. -------Happy Trails----- Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”