Sneaky Back Hand

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Sneaky Back Hand

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXDJ9NbAaYg
Have a look at this open hand back hand strike. It is on target in a snap. A great infighting strike, but can be delivered as a straight offensive technique as well. It hits VERY hard and is a stopper. Because of it's arcing delivery, it will hit high on the side of the head, near or on the ear. I like it coming off the elbow strike. This is a strike you want to have in your ammo supply. Practice it using both the heavy bag, and the striking mitt. Needs very little room to explode. NASTY !!
--------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Sneaky Back Hand

Post by Art Rabesa »

I really like having this open hand back hand in my tool box. When I'm close, and get turned, I do not have to get re-set in order to get off a strike. That left, or right, back hand is always there. It will get me back into my power mode with authority. Anytime you find yourself off your center point, this back hand will get you re-set quickly. Keeping your hand position locked into the 10 & 2 set up, will allow you to rip these back hands very fast. Check the link in the topic above. The hands stay in the steering wheel position. Everything is coming from this set-up. To fire a strike and rip the back hand with the same hand, is really quite explosive. Those strikes come like firing an automatic weapon. What I really like about the back hand, is it's stopping power. It explodes along the jaw line or ear really hard. If you practice going back and forth from a strike to the back hand, with the same hand,you will see what I mean. Do this with both hands. If you want to be a nightmare in close, this back hand should be on your ammo belt. -------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
iswy

Post by iswy »

Hi Master Rabesa,

Thank you for this tutorial, what a great strike! Are there any concerns about damage to metacarpals when striking with the back of the open hand?
Ian S

Shodan under Bruce Tulgan, Jiteki Jyuku
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Thanks for your interest iswy. I have never had any damage to the back of my hand when striking. I guess if you smash the crown of the skull it's possible to injure your hand. Watch carefully when I make contact with this backhand. You'll notice that it always arcs slightly downward. This will keep your hand in good order. Lots of practice on the heavy bag will allow you to understand the actual striking surface of this backhand. It's really hits with a loud bang. -----Happy Trails ----- Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”