Child Of The Dust

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Child Of The Dust

Post by Art Rabesa »

If you're viewing this, please have patience while I figure out how I'm going to put my thoughts into words. Actually, that's how I write. I'm a story teller, not a writer. Let me begin by telling you that "Child Of The Dust" is the title of my story. I began writing this story around 1982. It took me almost a year to complete it. I got it out to some publishers to go over. It never dawned on me what was going on in Hollywood at that time. Chuck Norris MIA and Rambo, plus Uncommon Valor were coming out. For the record --- my story was finished well before any of these movies came out. The publishers felt that there were enough Southeast Asia stories on the market. So I put my manuscript in a drawer, where it remained until last year. I took it from the desk and literally blew the dust off it. I thought I'd give it another shot. I gave it to my daughter Leanne for editing. Not because Leanne is my daughter, but because she is the best at what she does. She edits many writers work, and they all come back to her with other projects. There is lots of cleaning up to do on the manuscript. As I mentioned, I'm a story teller, not a writer. I write as if I'm watching it like a movie. At times I do not know where the story is going. So I envision it as if I'm watching it on screen. I remember one situation where I had the characters in a sampan moving down the Macon river. As I was writing I stopped and just stared at the old typewriter{no PC's back then) . "Okay, I've got them on the Macon with the government troops looking for them, now what"? I sat back, and closed my eyes, and saw the story unfold like a film. I watched then paddling and saw what was taking place. I pulled the typewriter back and began typing. This happened constantly as the story went on. I didn't know what the ending would be, or where it would be until I actually got there. Leanne is constantly asking me about the meaning of certain statements. I know exactly what I mean, but that doesn't mean that the reader will. Once again, story teller yes - writer no. Leanne will finish editing when she feels it's complete. Only when SHE feels it's complete. What a kid - don't know where she gets it from. Okay ---My story will most likely be on E book when everything is ready. Lots of action on just about every page. Leanne says ,"Great story, but you ****** as a writer". See what I mean. When it comes on the scene I hope it's good reading. After being in a drawer since 1983 , I really hope it has new life. Watch for it and I hope you enjoy it. Stay tuned. --------Happy Trails-------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Child Of The Dust

Post by Art Rabesa »

When I was researching material for this story, I came across this from the Smithsonian. I could not explain Child Of The Dust better than this.
From The Smithsonian:
"But neither American nor Vietnam wanted the children known as Amerasians. They were commonly dismissed by the Vietnamese as "Children Of The Dust" as insignificant as a speck to be brushed aside. The case and welfare of these unfortunate children ....has never been, and is not now, considered an area of government responsibility. The U.S. Defense Department said in a 1970 statement "Our society does not need these bad elements". The Vietnamese director of social welfare in prostitute Chi Minh City(formally Saigon) said a decade later, "as adults, some Amerasians would say that they felt cursed from the start. When in early April 1975, Saigon was falling to communist troops from the north and rumors spread that southerners associated with the United States might be massacred. President Gerald Ford announced plans to evacuate 2000 orphans , many of them Amerasians. Operation Baby Lift's first official flight crashed in the rice paddies outside of Saigon, killing 144, most being children. South Vietnamese soldiers and civilians gathered at the site. Some to help, others to loot the dead.

Child Of The Dust is the story of one of these children.
Arthur Rabesa
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Great stuff, Art, keep it coming. I remember you telling me about this years back.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Thanks Van. I wrote a sequel also. I'm just curious as to how Child Of The Dust will be received. Since I wrote it in 1983, I have no idea how people feel about the stories era. I wrote a story that I would like to read. That's how I wrote it. Like I was watching a movie. I'd put the characters in situations. Then I'd sit back and figure out how they're going to resolve it. At times, weeks would go by when I didn't know where to go in the story. Not a way to write I guess, but it seems to work for me. We'll see what happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I think that's good because you are creating suspense.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

The final editing stage is going on now. Leanne (my daughter) is really working hard editing my story. She edits many writers work, so it is taking longer than I anticipated. However, she is very good at this sort of thing so I'm letting her do what she does best. Completion should be before Xmas. I'm hoping the viewers of this forum will review "Child Of The Dust" and let me know their thoughts. It's an action packed story that I hope you all enjoy. I enjoyed writing it and I'm hoping it meets with a positive response. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you know when it is published and any other details there might be. Stay tuned. ------Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Looking forward to it, Art.
Van
Art Rabesa

Re: Child Of The Dust----Arthur Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

OKAY! FINAL EDIT COMPLETED. OFF TO THE PUBLISHER. I WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN IT IS OUT AND READY TO GO. I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT.

Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I know it is going to be a fantastic read my friend...I recall you telling me about it some years back.
Van

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”