Sanchin Practices

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

emattson

Sanchin Practices

Post by emattson »

While doing some workouts with Leo Blinn during the basic daily exercise class, he explained how Sanchin kata can be also practiced on lumpy surfaces outside or even on stairs to gain experience fighting in real-world footing. I felt it's a great idea since it prepares the warrior to be effective in all types of conditions, not just the smooth, flat, wood floor inside a dojo. I have nothing against dojos since they ease the learning curve and feel comfortable. Maybe I should practice on beaches, backyards wearing sneakers. Yoga feels very different between shoes or socks.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Glenn

Re: Sanchin Practices

Post by Glenn »

I read somewhere an idea that Sanchin may have been developed initially in a coastal port of southern China (like Fuzhou) at least in part to help train for fighting on a boat, where an 'anchored' foundation can be quite beneficial and piracy was an ever-present risk. The reasoning was that the foundation developed by Sanchin draws upon the 'sea legs' that naturally develop in career sailors. It also reasoned that this is why there are no kicking techniques in Sanchin, since trying to kick onboard a boat that is on even gentle rolling swells can be problematic at best and potentially even dangerous to the kicker, a risk amplified many times over the greater the motion the boat experiences for example in turbulent seas (imagine trying to do any kind of kick if the 'floor' is erratically bucking up and down beneath you). I have only ever seen this idea mentioned once, and I no longer remember the source, but I must admit the reasoning has an attractive logic to it.
Glenn
emattson

Re: Sanchin Practices

Post by emattson »

Sanchin is a good boat kata as it emphasize stability. Your body's center of gravity is always centered during each step. A good Sanchin check includes shoving, in my opinion. It also works for small spaces, including boats and my cluttered bedroom. One step before a turn is considered appropriate enough.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”