Windows Two-Thousand

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Allen M. »

Chuck's comments about driver support turned me off about windows 2000. However, I do have 3 out of 4 IDE hard drives with blown boot partitions. Curiosity got the best of me and I didn't have anything to loose plus I just so happen to have an evaluation CD of Windows 2000 laying around.

Windows2000 requires FOUR boot disks, which can be made right off the CD. 2000 came to the rescue and not only recovered the boot partitions, but was so eager to gain my approval that it mounted itself right on the boot partition, with almost no user intervention whatsoever.

Besides being loaded with tasty eye candy, 2000 automatically loaded the proper drivers (all by itself) for the video card, the network card, the audio card, and the new adaptec SCSI card. Set EVERYTHING up WITHOUT the need for external CDS that came with the cards. Slick!

I took it for a test drive around the block, and even gave it's built-in defrag (something sorely needed by NT) a run for it's worth. NOT BAD.

Some things were moved around, for instance the file manager, but once found, taking it around the block revealed it was oozing with new features.

Windows 2000 is not an updated DOS/Win 98, but a real NT OS, so if you are not into NT then maybe this one isn't for you.

The evaluation copy is a timed copy, meaning that it has an expiration date on it, don't know how long that'l be, but I know where they are stocking 2000 and sellingthem at a LOWER price then NT 4, so I'll go there before the price goes up.

Microsoft did something right with Windows 2000, and will be the OS of choice at this site.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm
Dakkon

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Did you notice how much faster Windoze 2k is?
If your using the MSDN version there should be no time bomb. If your using the Tech Net version it's a 120day time bomb. Feb. 17th is only 14days away Image
Yes I installed Win2k because of the same problem I screwed my boot sector hard. nothing would fix it. Said the same thing you did and Win 2K went in and made it self right at home! Great little OS!
The only 2 things I don't like about Win 2k Server and Advanced Server is 1.)No support for the Logitech3 button mice (middle button is used but not as a dbleclick) 2.) No support for Zip,SparQ drives.
They do support tape drives though.
Other then that IT'S SOLID rock SOLID. I've done things I knew killed NT4 and Win 2k just laughed and keep going.
IIS-5 is nice, only 1 noted security bug so far. The resource CD had PERL included! and some other nice candy. Over all Win 2k is THE NT OS to use, USB support,plug-&-Pray support,just about ever driver under the sun is built in!
Cheers,
Chuck

p.s.
Now for that Windows ME that will be the coned-sue'mer version.
Allen M.

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Allen M. »

Snake with megaphone will keep you uptodate, Anthony.

Windows 2000 Professional (Why they call it professional, I do not know. I was thinking named so because they have a professional sales team).

Anyway, W2000P installed the IDE Zip drive without a hitch too. Ran smoothe.

Can't report if 2000P is bloatware or not, because I put that HD away and will install a commercial version on the new SCSI HD when it arrives.

On the downside, I broke NT over the weekend with the software I wrote processing 67,000 plus emails I have received into individual files.

NT's Explorer chokes on this one, and had to go back down into a DOS box to do further processing. 2000P has the same problems. Worst, was not able to find the DOS Icon to do check it out with its DOS emulator.

As time goes on, there will be both positives and negatives from this new OS, I'm sure, but the new face was a pleasure to look at and the new features, especially the autoconfig of the net card, were met with a happy face.

TRYING to get a happy face? Your face page is down. Also, Anthony, a number of times yesterday, the day before, and earlier this morning, yhese forum pages were totally inaccesssible. Not a happy face could be acquired for this paragraph. Probably should have started a new post on this one, but got to get ready for work, and call the internet quits for the morning.
------------------
<hr>
I was able to get into this after the three S's, and only then did I see Chuck's post.

My Zip came up ok, MS has already issued a patch for the security leak (service pak 1 already?), and my CD came with many others as part of the developers kit. There is a time stamp on it, but didn't say when.

I have a SCSI Jaz drive, a streaming tape system, and a SCSI CD rewriter that I may not use again along with the ASUS P5. If you are interested in any, get in touch. This is it 'till tonight.

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited February 03, 2000).]
Dakkon

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
What speed CD-R/W?
Any CPU on the ASUS?
I only have one IDE SparQ drive that sits in the NT 4 Work Station. Will be upgrading to Win 2k Pro this weekend. The rest of my stuff is removeable stuff.
The work station has been unstable for a few weeks now. I think it didn't like the c2 security workover. Image
Cheers,
Chuck
Allen M.

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Allen M. »

Don't even know where the R/W is. It is a Sony CDU926S, 4x write, not sure what read.

300MHz Pentium II on the ASUS w/64 meg.

Have 5 or six 1 gig cartridges that go with the Jaz.

When I told the youngest a little while ago that I was parting out the ASUS, he wants me to sell the Dell450 instead and give him the ASUS so he can build on it. 50/50 I'll let it go; haven't decided.

I was lucky to get W2000 at a sale with the entire Corel Office suite. Same people I ordered my Coppermine setup from just got W2000 in, and they decided to let me have it as if I ordered it as part of the system; nice people.

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by gmattson »

Please keep us posted on Windows2000 guys. Thanks to Harry, my computer is running real well now, but Windows still freezes up at least once every day and during certain applications.

But I can remember when Windows first appeared and all the problems we had with it. Guess we get spoiled with progress. Five years ago I would have been very, very happy with the speed and reliability of today's machines and software.

Having said that, I still am eagerly awaiting something better from MS.

------------------
GEM
Dakkon

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Dakkon »

George,
For the heavy handed users Windows 2000 is going to be it for long while. Once M$ gets the 64bit OS out then it's another story.
For Home users Windows 98se is real stable. Windows "M.E." is a just more bloatware. I've played with the beta 2 and wasn't impressed as it was 98se with different icons and a few slick tricks from Windows 2k. Nothing to write home about. Hold out if you have 95 and make the jump to Windows "M.E." if your going to upgrade though.

Allen,
That was way cool of them to hook you up that way! I may do business with them because of that. Great Customer Service is hard to find nowadays. Image Image
Can't say I blame the young one, more room to play on the ASUS Image
Cheers,
Chuck
Allen M.

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Allen M. »

Many months ago when you asked about Windows 2000 and Word 2000, knowing past histories it was going to be ONLY a moneysink and was still a dream in the mind of Microsoft (I think the scare of the courts of the last few years assisted MS to provide ultimate products). I had nothing good to report about them, until I needed the POWER available to help write my book and to keep me off welfare. Most people do not need or seek the type of speed and power that are important to Chuck and I. To wish for a bigger, faster, PC is often ludicrous, can be expensive, and unless a person is really into it, George, may never even know what he has in front of him.

I remember the Kaypro II; world's second portable. The II stands for a 2Mhz computer. In order to reach computer nirvana in terms of speed and power in those days, all that was necessary was a pair of diagonals and a soldering iron. Clip and melt to produce a screamin' daemon -- 4MHz. The PC world has gone from those speeds, to soon over 1GHz. The interesting thing is that both the price and the complexity of getting there remain the same, and in some cases less.

An interesting thought cultivated through the years, is how a person can put together cutting edge technology by plugging in a few simple parts, and do this for much less green than what it takes to obtain a mediocre PC at places like CompUSA.

A few years ago one had to know bits, bytes, and BIOS. Today, it a little easier, even pin #1 has a red stripe and the power connector goes in only one way on the motherboard.

Win95 on a 200MHz pc with a 33 or 56K modem is more than adequate for most, and is more than adequate for the young ones who have computers growing out of their fingertips. Add Win98 for a layer of eye candy over that. If I wasn't doing software development for a career, I might not even own a PC. However, because I am into it, the path must be burned by the fire of the gods.

------------------
Dakkon

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Dakkon »

hah hah haa I agree with Tony-san that's good.
Tony, I don't blame you man, it's easier and causes a lot less gray hairs to call Gateway.
Hardware is a tuff torch to bear.
Sometimes I wish I could call someone to fix the problem so I could goto bed before 5am or enjoy some time with friends.
Cheers,
Chuck
"Walkin' the path burned by the fire of the gods"
gmattson
Site Admin

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by gmattson »

Allen:
Seems to me I paid over $2500 for my Kaypro II!!! For that amount I could purchase a pretty decent machine today.

Remember writing a letter back then? You wrote the letter, then had to format it, then a couple of other processes before getting it on paper! Whewww

------------------
GEM

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited February 04, 2000).]
Allen M.

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Allen M. »

George,

Maybe the Kaypro II was the hard disk computer delivered with the advanced, super-fast 5 or 10 meg hard drive and the Kaypro was the one with the advanced setup of a pair of floppies and no hard drive. Either way, state of the art of the times.

I must have been lazy in those days 'cuz I used WordStar. It did it ALL, plus you could put the ENTIRE word processor, a total of one execuable plus two overlays, PLUS the leters you wrote on one floppy 320K (days before 360k) disks. None of this installing business.

In some, er many, ways "computing" was faster fifteen years ago.
<hr>
Have to be careful blazing new trails, Chuck, or the gods will sneak up behind you and burn your butt.
<hr>
Anthony's got the right idea if one doesn't derive pleasure from being a "Rugged Frontiersman." Heh, he, he.! Image

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited February 04, 2000).]
Allen M.

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Allen M. »

Need Sleep. Reconfiguring went ok. Some issues with 2K/SCSI/Cheetah/CD-R-W.

Cheetah runs like a Cheetah. Fastest hard drive I ever saw.

Chuck, Any clues on dual-booting W2K with win98?

Need Sleep. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz...... . . .

------------------
Dakkon

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Dual booting can be done with Bootmagic.
Windows 2k doesn't like to play nice.
I've not tried dual booting them yet,heard it can be done,but with much CHI expended on the desk and some gray hairs. Will research more on it.
Cheers,
Dakkon

btw did you deceid on what your salling?
Allen M.

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Allen M. »

Research no further, Chuck! Image

Dual-Booting is a cakewalk with W2K. I have never encountered anything so easy in all my PC life.

This is how I did it: Image

1) Set BIOS to boot off CD.

2) Inserted a bootable Win98, not an upgrade nor reconstruction CD. Fortunatly, the Win98 that came with my DELL450, and I never used, is bootable. I had another Win98 CD which was NOT bootable; it now serves as a coffee cup coaster. (O NO! That was my NT disk.... Image )

3) FDISK two partitions to DOS size (2027). I experimented around with a virgin Maxtor 40Gig monster first. To fix it I used the MaxBlaster that came with it. Less than six keystrokes and Voila!

4) Load W98 on C:. Child's play. I did Sanchin through Seisan while 98 was doing it's thing.

5) Keep the BIOS directed to booting off the CD drive. I removed SCSI disk and card for these things, process goes much quicker.

6) Windows 2000 Professional will not be available to the general public until Feb. 17, but builders on new systems can purchase them ahead of time... Get a full version, NOT the upgrade if you plan on dual booting; some, maybe all upgrades are not CD drive bootable.

Put her in the CD drive, and let it rip. Even less muss and fuss than W98.

By the time the Serui through Sanseiryu three times each were completed, so wasn't the installation.

7) W2000 has a slick disk manager. It is not necessary to assign drive letters, just names as labels with the "\\" as you do when you connect to a network drive.

Now, video, sound, modem, etc. drivers are right in W2000. Smoke signals read that in a few weeks many more drivers will become available as the product is released.

AFAIC, Windows 2000 is a winner. The shine of this product takes some of the tarnish off 1999's MS considerations.

Testing email and internet connections as the last item in the list before the case gets buttoned up, then I'm outa here.

------------------
Dakkon

Windows Two-Thousand

Post by Dakkon »

Allen,
Great site! http://www.win2kworld.com/
enjoy

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”