Fuzhou Suparinpei

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this subject but here goes Image

I am very interested in hearing more about the "Fuzhou Suparinpei" Kata of Mr. Simon Lailey. I am aware of a video available on this form but I would like to know a little more about the form and its origins. I believe that it may actually be closer to the original "Pechurin" form of the White Crane arts than that commonly seen within Gojuryu and other styles nowdays.

Can anyone out there please give me some more information???

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Gene DeMambro

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Gene DeMambro »

You have DEFINATELY come to the right place!

Sensei Glasheen has done an extensive, exhaustive study of the form. Frankly, we can't get him to shut up about it Image !

Videotapes are available at this site's Store. There is a vid. of Mr. Lailey doing it, as well as a vid. of Mr. Glasheen. After you watch the tapes, come back and ask Mr. Glasheen all the questions you want. I don't know if the video is compatible with Australian video players, though.

Back to work...

Gene

[This message has been edited by Gene DeMambro (edited August 09, 2000).]
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Image Great!

Thank you very much for the information!

I will be ordering a copy of the video in the very near future (Yes I have a NTSC Format player).

"The old man" who runs the school that teaches this form was a nephew of the shushiwa that taught Kanbun Uechi. By both birth and content, there is definately some kind of connection." -- Fascinating. Can you please give me some additional information on this connection. For example, what style does the "old man" in mention teach? And Glasheen Sensei, what are your personal thoughts (in-depth) on this particular form?

Looking forward to your reply,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Evan Pantazi

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Glasheen Sensei,

Could you bring a copy of your tape and Simon Lailey's as well I will purchase them. I liked your video I bought last year and will send a gift copy to Kyoshi Goninan for his insights he has given us on the White Crane system. But I definately would like to see Simon Lailey perform it as well.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
Bill Glasheen

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The tapes are in NTSC format. If you have a video player that will play that, you are fine. I did ask Bill Jackson (the video producer) to make some PAL tapes the last time I went to Germany. These can be done on special request when we have a critical number that are interested. Just let us know.

And any light you can shed on this form would be appreciated! As I understand it from Simon Lailey, "the old man" who runs the school that teaches this form was a nephew of the shushiwa that taught Kanbun Uechi. By both birth and content, there is definitely some kind of connection.

- Bill
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Evan,

Thank you for your very kind offer but I was planning on purchasing a copy of the video tommorrow.

As for the history of this form, I have some information which I can neither confirm or deny which states that the Shu Family System was not taught in the Fuchanshin Temple to the others, but held within the SHUU Family only. Its claimed Shuu Sensei did teach it to Kanbun Sensei because he owed Kanbun Sensei a life-debt. It is said Kanbun Sensei often said that he regretted not remaining in China long enough to learn the Suparempei form, but it was not part of the Shuu Family system. It is said that the prerequisite for learning the Suparempai/Pechurin form was the completeion of 30 years or more of study at the Sandairyu level. Some believe it doubtful Shuu Sensei knew the form himself since he was younger than Kanbun Sensei and both of them were barely out of their teens when they first did meet. Of course, I can not substantiate the veracity of this.

I am interested in hearing as to what the lineage is of Mr. Lailey's form is.

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Evan Pantazi

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Evan Pantazi »

I realize this may not be the Forum for this but as they say...what the hey.

I have been practicing the Suparempi from Glasheen Sensei on a daily basis for a bit over a year now and have come up with some nice Bunkai and Chi Gung...see I told you this wasn't the place for this one).

To open, the stepping out into a low horse stance with the hands forming a palm down triangular position, much like a reverse Kusanku opening, is a great Chi Gung that should be held for an indiscriminant period. This, (get ready for this) opens the 1st Chakra and grounds the energy (read Chi) very well as it sets the tone for the remainder of the Kata, until it repeats at the end once again.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Evan-San,

Fascinating! I cannot wait to receive the copy of Simon Lailey's "FUZHOU SUPAREMPEI" video you mentioned!!! (Yes, that means I will gratefully accept your offer of this video as a "gift"). It sound's like a very interesting form!

What is Mattson Sensei's views regarding this form?

Hope to hear more about this form soon!

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

A little something which may be of interest:

The birth year for Shuu Shiwa (the "Blue Grass Priest") was 1874 and he is said to have died in 1927. Shuu Sensei was about 3 years older than Kanbun Sensei, and it was considered to be somewhat unusual for a Japanese to accept someone so close to his own age as a Senior and a Sensei. Usually, one studied with a Sensei at least a generation older, this seems to be a predominat tradition.

After some time, Kanbun Sensei found his way to Shuu's genku-ki (training hall). Upon encountering Shuu Shiwa, it became evident to Kanbun Sensei that here was the role model he had sought since his childhood days. Young, tough, and famous for his skills and teaching, Shuu Shiwa had already dedicated two museums of Chinese fighting arts and was widely known as one of if not the most momentous person in the Fukien fighting arts circles. Later, Kanbun Sensei would be asked why he chose to study with such a young man -- only three years older than himself -- and not a much older, more experienced instructor as was the tradition. A Chinese author, Kan Bunko, best explained this philosophy of the Junior/Senior relationship in his book entitled "An Instructor's Story". The expressions of the book's main character closely reflected Kanbun Sensei's feelings: "My purpose in seeking the Master is to seek the Way of Defensive Arts. Therefore, it is of no consequence whether he is of junior or senior age to me -- such a question is not even considered in such a matter. It is his skill and not his age that makes the Master. If a young man can lead me along the Way, I then choose to follow him as my Master."

It is said Kanbun Sensei did know a fourth kata but it was not Suparempei. Its said that he did not teach it as he told the students it had no real training value. He did not say whether Shuu Sensei taught it to him or not; he may well have learned it in his studies at the Okinawan dojo in Fuchow. At any rate, he felt it was not worth the study time.

With all the great fame of the man, it seems rather unlikely that there is actually little or no information about Shuu Sensei.

Posted with thanks to a "special friend"

I am interested in finding out more about the view that the Fuzhou Suparempei is the fourth or "lost" kata of the Uechi-Ryu tradition and would greatly welcome any advice, input or information on same via this forum.

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Come on, there must be someone out there who has an opinion, view or information regarding the "Fuzhou Suparinpei" Kata and it's possible relation to being the fourth or "missing" kata of the Uechiryu tradition???

Please, lets hear from you!

-----------
Ron Goninan
Steve

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Steve »

Sensei Ron - be patient. Most of the regulars on this forum are attending the annual summer camp. It ends Sunday afternoon 13 August.

I'm next door to you in Singapore and missed the summer camp. Can't wait to get back to Boston to see what I missed.

I have an interest in learning Suparinpei, but will wait until I've achieved advanced rank in Uechi-ryu.

I'm certain that more people will contribute to this thread after the next 24 hours. Best regards, Steve

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Steve-San,

Great to hear from you. I apologize for my impatience, I'm just very interested in hearing more about Mr. Lailey's form, it origins and other aspects. Good, solid information is hard to come by nowdays.

Regards,

-----------
Ron Goninan
Panther

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Panther »

I've not gotten into this discussion because I know that Uechi kata of the same name are different than the Goju kata that I learned/know. I don't know what differences the "Suparinpei" you're asking about has compared to the one I know... If I could see a video clip of the one you're talking about, I could better discuss the kata and any differences I see.

[This message has been edited by Panther (edited August 14, 2000).]
kusanku

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by kusanku »

Yang Jwing Ming states ncestral Crane Kung Fu has a form called Shi Ba Lou Han Shou(Eighteen Hands of the Luo Han). Could this be Fuzhou Suparinpei?

Is there any way to find out? I know neither of these forms.

I thought Shushiwa's name in Chinese is also Chou Tzu-prostitute.

Somneone told me the movie Five Fingers of Death, originally Tiger Boxer, starring Lo Lieh, whose heroes name is pronounce like
Jao Ji Hao(Chou Tzu prostitute) was somewhat based on his life.

If so, he was famous enough.Also, that would make Uechi Ryu Fukien Tiger Style.

Pangai Noon(Nag Ngai Non, or half Hard tyle) would make it a form of Crane Boxing, however. Perhaps a combo of both?

Just some thoughts.

Kusanku
Ron Goninan

Fuzhou Suparinpei

Post by Ron Goninan »

Bill-San,

Thank you very much for the information regarding the yi bai ling ba bu (Fuzhou Suparinpei) form. I cannot wait to see the footage of this form ... it sounds fascinating!

Actually, I have video footage of Mr. Lailey taken in what looks like a large sports centre on the 09.01.1991 of him demonstrating a very interesting form which contains many of the signature characteristics of Suparinpei as well as some leaping kicks and one curious posture in which Mr. Lailey drops to the ground in a cross leg posture to deliver a strike.

I am also interested in the information you gave me regarding this form and the Uechiryu connection. It seems highly likely that it may in fact be the fourth kata of the Uechiryu system. If this is so, then it is of paramount importance to the serious practitioner!

Many thanks,

-----------
Ron Goninan

[This message has been edited by Ron Goninan (edited August 16, 2000).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”