nasty kick

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

jorvik

nasty kick

Post by jorvik »

This is a question for Mr. Glasheen( I never know how to address you, do you prefer Dr.?)

I was recently shown a kick by a jiu jitsu man...the kick was a front kick to the knee, but as soon as contact was made, usually with the heel, the kicking leg was turned out...so it looked like a front kick, but finished like a crescent kick...the purpose of the kick was to kneecap your opponent, to literally kick his kneecap off....is it possible to do this?
Malcolm Wagner

nasty kick

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Hi Jorvik,

Sorry I am not Doctor Glasheen, just a lowly-nurse (please don't call me nurse-Wagner) Image

Isshinryu has a basic kick called a forward-angle kick, that is especially-useful for doing the damgage you describe. It starts out by chambering the foot close to the opposite knee, then the blade of the foot rotates downard and in (toes rotate inward),then it is brought back into chamber for a whipping-effect. It can actually be used on any part of the lower body, but seems to be most effective around the knee joint. The patella is very sensitive and able to be dislocated. With shoes on and a little more time on target, this kick can make a nasty abrasion on the shin---feels gooood Image

Mal
gmattson
Site Admin

nasty kick

Post by gmattson »

We discussed this post in class this morning. We have three basic kicks in Uechi:
Front, cresent and side. The side kick, as demonstrated in Konshiwa kata is probably the same as the one described by nurse Wagner. Image

Many Uechi practitioners start the kick by pushing the heel of their foot out, which I don't like. Prefer to start the kick out as in a front kick, then "focus" energy while extending the heel outward. A snapshot of the kick at the end, would look a bit like the end of the cresent kick. I teach the kick to have a feeling of "slicing" across the muscle of opponent's thigh or knee rather than being a "power" kick.

Taking a knee cap off?? I've seen knee caps dislocated a couple times with very mild contact. Although a small target, if hit, would incompacitate an opponent. You can't move your leg with kneecap injured.

------------------
GEM
jorvik

nasty kick

Post by jorvik »

thanks Mal, for responding... I saw these guys practising it on a large pad, and it looked awesome..
Mr.Mattson.
thanks for replying, the reason that I became interested in this kick was because of something you said on one of the clips on this site...about uechi-ryu not being an extravagent style..but containing everything that you could need for self defence...over the past coupla months I've been thinking about this a lot and trying to strip out the none essential stuff...why do I need flying kicks at my age?....if I was fighting for my live what moves could I rely on?...Mr.Canna on his forum often says that in a real fight you may lose a lot of your fancy techniques and end up relying on a few moves..I think that this would be one of them...it also ties in with the nerve strike stuff that Dr.Glasheen has had on his forum....I think after what you've said about people not being able to walk after a solid kick to the knee....that this would be an excellent kick for woman to use.
Bill Glasheen

nasty kick

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jorvik

If you are Jorvik, then you can address me as "Bill." The title thing is only for venues where people wear the silly things.

My only comment is that dislocating or otherwise traumatizing a kneecap is a lot harder to do than other useful things for a kick like that. It is a small target that can be difficult to hit just right. The nasty result is likely more often unfortunate accident than intent. A more reliable technique would be hyperextending the knee in one of several different directions. But if you are going to do something like that, having a shoe on really helps get the "grip" you would need.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”