water

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

jorvik

water

Post by jorvik »

this may be a bit of a mad subject, check out
http://alliancemartialarts.com/cold.html

its a good site and here they discuss the merits of bathing in ice cold water, they call it body tempering...they sometimes do this outdoors on cold winter mornings....to enevate and vivify, on reflection I can think of 2 famous martial artists who did this Morihei Ueshiba ( Aikido) and Masutatsu Oyama ( Kyokoshinkai) they used to stand under waterfalls for Misogi ..........on the down side I've heard that the shock can cause a heartattack........whilst on the subject I believe that the average person drinks far less water than they should......opinions, comments........does any body do this practise.....????
KarateKid

water

Post by KarateKid »

True: People need to drink more water!!! I think its what... 8 ounces a day?

When I was young, my mother would finish off my bath with cold water. I hated it! She always use to say that it got my blood circulating - right before pouring the water on me. When she took baths as a kid they didn't have hot water. Maybe its an asian thing... or maybe she's was getting me back for her not having hot water!

------------------
Ted Dinwiddie

water

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

The standard that is parroted is "8 glasses a day." Which originated from 8 cups a day I think, but it just depends...

In the Austrian Alps on a ski trip, the hotel I was staying in had a 4' x 4' by 5 or 6' deep ice cold pool outside the sauna, or you could go outside and roll in the snow. Never did it.

------------------
ted

"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke
Bill Glasheen

water

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Somehow this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode and the "shrinkage" issue. Coed naked dousing? Probably more fun for a male watching the female than the other way around... Image

I've done crazy things like this before. I've run in the snow with the UVa karate class from Memorial Gym to The Lawn, done sanchin barefoot to the utter shock of onlookers, and run on back. The students thought I was looney, but they loved their war stories! That really doesn't bother me much. But I can tell you that dousing yourself with really cold water isn't exactly "fun." It is indeed envigorating though. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
The colder the water, the better it feels.
This guy has a sick sense of humor. Image

- Bill
Adam

water

Post by Adam »

Never thought about it this way, but back in my TKD days (started from laziness, but made it a ritual) I would go home at about 8pm without putting on shoes or anything else besides the gi I had on, walk across the parking lot and get into my car, roll the windows down and drive home. After a couple times, I got used to the cold and did find it envigorating.
Well, thinking about it, your metabolism would shoot up after 1 or 2 uses. The boost would be temporary, but longer lasting the longer you regularly kept doing it regularly.

Adam

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”