Back to normal?

For kids who are interested in the martial arts. Moderated by "Seisan Sister", who is 13 years old and a seasoned Uechi competitor and according to her father, a very serious martial artist.
KerryM

Back to normal?

Post by KerryM »

I titled the subject "back to normal?" with a question mark, because what used to be normal for me, is not so any longer. It has changed with this wonderful teaching experience I've recently had.

Steve is almost fully mended now, and will be returning to teach "his" (lol) classes, which "was" normal....yet I don't think I could completely give up the reigns now, after having driven the coach- so to speak. The growth within myself, after being able to teach is immeasurable and not even completely realized as of yet, I know. But I feel it. I want to know how all the children are doing with their practice- I want to be a part of it. I want to be there to help them through any discouraging times. I feel connected to them all now.

I tried many techniques, and saw many that worked, some that didn't. I learned how to guide and contrtol the class, how to "teach" them what I wanted them to learn, and I saw "it stick" through the weeks. They remembered!

The last class I taught- without the aid of my own Sensei (Steve) left the parents slack-jawed. In a good way LOL. The kids worked hard- they paid attention- they learned- then they took it home and "kept" it with them. If not in physical practice- then by behavior changes. Many of our students have Adhd or add or some other emotional trouble, where they have either been reccommened by the state to us to learn discipline, or by past students, etc. Every single child imporved in some way. Those children that have begun karate out of sheer intrist- have excelled so wonderfully, I can't wait for Steve to come back and see. I'm so proud of "my kids". :)

The best thing that could have happened-

I was still nervous, maybe even afraid to test for black- I felt much less secure in my own abilities- due in no part to my Sensei- but from my own lack of confidense etc.

Teaching has changed this for me. I'm excited to test for black. Excited not for the color, not for the rank, but to begin my journey as a Uechi-Ryuy practitioner- (karateka?)

Of coarse I believe a good candidate always holds a measure of fear- but maybe now, I have a better understanding of what to do with it, and how to make it work for me.

It was such a wonderful experience.

Thanks for listening/(reading)

Kerry Morgan
W.J.C.

Post by W.J.C. »

Sounds like you've got the teaching bug. I've had it for awhile now and in no way whatsoever would I like to get rid of it.

I got hooked as a brown belt teaching the lower kyu rank students kumites and bonkais as well as techniques and kata basics. I'm glad my sensei, Dan Dovidio, gave me the opportunity to do so.

I found that when I had to try to explain a technique or concept to another it forced me to think about what I was trying to convey even more, which in turned gave me a better understanding of it. My confidence and technique skyrocketed.

Back then I was teaching the fellow adults in my class, now I teach children. In which I find a little bit more rewarding. When your finally able to explain an abstract idea or technique to a child and have to find the words and real life experiences in which they can relate to, and see that little lightbulb in their head just click on. Nothing is a bigger rush, especially when they finally perform (correctly) what you were trying to get across.

I've also found that by making my higher ranking students teach the lower ranking students two things happen

1) The lower ranking students learn faster than if I had taught them, (it probably seems more obtainable to them if their peirs can already do it)

and

2) It helps the higher ranking students to ask questions (to me) about their techniques and things they never realised they were unsure of. Plus, it enforces those of which they are sure of.

Trust me when I say this, you will definitely NOT be able to sit in the sidelines anymore, your hooked.
KerryM

Post by KerryM »

:)
Yep, I'm hooked.

On June 13th, in our "independant" Uechi-Ryu Dojo, I became a Shodan. I find that I can't truly express the experience. There are no words to describe, but it has changed me, and will continue to be my life.

I'm still teaching as well. And you are right, when students, of any rank, catch on to an idea and in turn find themselves passing along the idea in another way, which then in turn helps that person- there too, are no words to describe.

This is awesome stuff!!!

Kerry-
W.J.C.

Post by W.J.C. »

Here's a question:

My older students seem to love learning Kata's (9+), but my young ones don't (5-8).

What do you think would be a good idea in getting them to learn Sanchin Kata? What are some ways I could make it more fun and interesting for them?
KerryM

Post by KerryM »

mmm- get them interested in some "secrets" take Sanchin and break it up- when teaching. i.e. the beginning of the kata- the opening, get them to visualize "energy" so to speak shooting out of their hands when they open just before raising them to sanchin... try to think of what the children are into in your class- as people- then in-corporate what those interests are- into an "imaginative trek" for them- so that when they are performing/learning the kata, they associate it to other things they are already really into.

make it fun. have contests maybe, little ribbons or something for each child that accomplishes the first thing you are working on- i.e. correct stance, correct strike, correct turn.... etc. etc... fun, with reward, and a feeling of being special...

that's what my kids seem to respond to :)

Kerry
seisansister

how to get little kids interested in kata

Post by seisansister »

okay, take some moves from sanchin that are simple like the steps and the strikes. Then teach them separately, or mix them into a game like sensei says so that the kids get good at the moves without knowing it. then, by the time theyre older and want to learn kata, theyll be good at the moves and know most of them. plus, games keep the little ones entertained. :D

Seisansister [/quote]

Return to “Kombat Kids”