Chi in water???

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Allen

Most laboratories use deionizers on tap water for lab work, because the thing that interferes most with chemical reactions are the minerals that naturally occur in tap water. A deionizer is just a big tube with a series of filters in it. Each of the filters captures some portion of the dissolved and particulate material in tap water, so that what you are left with at the end is mineral free water.

Distillation removes minerals AND all organic content. You accomplish that by boiling the water, letting the water go from liquid to vapor phase, and then routing that water vapor up through a tube where heat exchange can take place. With the loss of heat, the water vapor can change phase back to liquid form again. The minerals cannot evaporate, nor can any of the organic material.

Laboratories use demineralizers because they are cheaper and quicker than distillers. Hospitals use distilled water because it is sterile until otherwise contaminated.

Now, let's say you want to make some moonshine...

Well first you must ferment sugar. Yeast will convert sugar to alcohol. If you keep oxygen from getting to that alcohol, then you can prevent another set of organisms from converting that alcohol to vinegar. So fermentation usually takes place in a big sealed vat of some kind with a water trap to let the CO2 escape, but not let O2 get in. Yeast will continue to convert sugar to alcohol until the solution gets to a MAXIMUM of 12%, at which time the alcohol itself stops the yeast in its tracks. Fine...you have wine if you fermented grapes or apples, beer if you fermented hops, and something else if you fermented corn or some other sugar bearing fruit or vegetable.

If 6% to 12% alcohol doesn't suit you, there are two methods for making the alcohol stronger. Both methods take advantage of the fact that alcohol has a different boiling and freezing point than water.

The really cheap and simple way is to filter your mash, and start to freeze it. Water changes to a solid at a higher temperature than alcohol. If you take the mix and begin to freeze it, what remains becomes higher and higher concentration alcohol before it finally all turns to solid. The trick is to catch it at the right point so you preserve most of the alcohol and some of the flavor molecules, but extract MOSTLY water as a solid (ice). This works and I did it with cider wine when I was a kid. They call it applejack. The only problem is that it will have some sediment.

The better method is to distill. Alcohol has a lower boiling point than water. If you boil the mash, the first vapor that comes off the mix is extremely high in alcohol content. Thus the first juices that come out of the distiller will be extremely high in alcohol content. Successive aliquots become higher and higher in water content, until you get almost all water. The flavor molecules tend to be more volatile than water (lower boiling point), so they will come off early along with the alcohol. The trick is to distill off just the right portion of the mix so you get the alcohol and flavor you want while minimizing the amount of water that comes through. NONE of the sediment makes it through the distillation process. Minerals and live organisms are similarly absent.

So...you can make moonshine with a distiller and by freezing, but not with a deionizer.

- Bill
Brett

Post by Brett »

Yes but be wary of moonshine. It can contain lead or other bad materials in it that you cannot see. To test it pour a small amount into a saucer or shallow plate. Go into a dark room and light it with a flame. If it burns blue it is pure, if orange it has lead in it and should not be used for drinking, (for medicinal purposes :wink: ).
"Any day in which you learn something new is a day well spent."
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

That would be due to the makeup of the condenser phase of the distillation device. The classic way to do it is with good old fashioned copper tubing. If your distillation device has lead in it, then it can be leached out with the condensed liquid.

In the lab, we have glass tubing with a glass jacket around it that allows us to run cold water past the coiled glass tube.

Brett's simple lab test shows an understanding of the ionizing properties of lead. We used the color and intensity of color of a liquid injected into flame to tell concentration of a mineral solution (aka atomic absorption). The flame excites the electrons and makes them jump up an orbit. When they fall back down again to the original electron orbit, they give off light at a very specific frequency (color) characteristic of the element. That was the last step in a mineral assay back when I did geochemistry.

- Bill
Brett

Post by Brett »

Thanks Bill I had forgotten all of that from chemistry.

My uncle used to make it and he always warned that testing under fire was better than hospitalization.
"Any day in which you learn something new is a day well spent."
IJ

Post by IJ »

My take on the website is he plays fast and loose with his terms... he basically says the water that comes out of his system will be different than the stuff you drink elsewhere, which is crappola, and suggests there's some other life force in water that distilling kills.

Water molecules are water molecules are water molecules. You can't change the angle of the bonds, or make the hydrogen bonds tighter, or throw in some extra electrons. These are all real, important characteristics of water, but they're not up for manipulation.

Water doesn't remember anything either... I went to a homeopathy lecture in college and had a good chuckle; the idea was that like cures like by stimulating the body to react the other way. OK, plausible, but they dilute their meds out so the odds of having ANY material remaining is less than one in a million. They claim the water "remembers" the erngy of the original compound, which is interesting.... they said this has to do with the polarity of water and how a substance will make nearby water molecules line up in certain ways.

Of course, that effect is gone when the compound is gone, and the water then moves around at surprising speed mixing randomly and forever removing any trace of what was there originally. No matter.

Where do you get pliers small enough to bend the water molecules to the shape you want??
--Ian
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ian

I was being kind.

Everything you said was true. I'm thinking in terms of the real physics, and how that MIGHT loosely translate into what they are saying. Natural flora and fauna in water = the "memory" of disease. Bad water can indeed make you sick. I didn't dare drink anything but Coke and wine when I visited Russia. The dissolved ozone in the water would provide the extra electrons, no? If forced into a lawsuit, those that are fast and loose with their terminology would fall back on this.

It's clear though that the advertiser seems to be trying to appeal to a certain granola-minded crowd - particularly the homeopathy believers. He says all the right things... This isn't a whole lot different from what advertisers do on Saturday morning to get kids to eat and buy stuff that they don't really need.

Why am I not shocked? It's because if you look around you in the martial arts community, you see the VERY SAME THING. Folks take the ordinary, and sell it as something mystical. A rational, educated person has to wade through reams of hyperbole and Chinese gobbledygook to find something that a boxer could have shown you in the ring. Somehow the thought of selling it for what it is never occurs to some.

- Bill
eugenephilip572

Re: Chi in water???

Post by eugenephilip572 »

Explore the concept of Chi in water. Though unrelated, "The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt" by Richard H. Wilkinson adds historical depth. Like ancient philosophers pondering elements, delve into Chi's connection with water, ensuring a modern exploration that combines contemporary curiosity with the timeless spirit of holistic understanding.

Visit our Website: https://jobertabueva.com

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”