Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:20 pm

We asked Cooley Law School's Jim Peden what kind of questions that a prosecutor needs to be asking.

"If someone's claiming self-defense, you've got to look and see if they're the aggressor, and the amount of force they used, and was the amount of force they used necessary?" Peden said.

Under state law, self-defense applies only when the person claiming self-defense meets a two-part standard for perceiving the threat of great bodily harm or death.

"The person who's being threatened is asked, 'Did you feel threatened with great bodily harm?' And they say, 'Oh yeah, I did.' And the second question, the second shoe to drop is, was that fear reasonable?" Peden explained.

By that standard, self-defense is a concept that is both subjective and objective.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:23 pm

jthulse »

Hello Van

I heard a story yesterday that shows exactly what we are talking about with awareness.

A lady was at the petrol station in a town near to me a couple of days ago. It was in the evening, dark. She filled the tank and then went to pay.

She didn't lock her doors when she went to pay.

As she was paying the cashier said to her,
"Don't look around and come inside. I have already pressed the panic button" She did as she was told. While she was paying the cashier saw a man sneak into her car and lie down on the back seat. The police arrived and arrested the man who was carrying a carving knife!

It'll never happen to me!!!! Think again.
Jim Hulse
Uechi Ryu Karate UK
Kyusho Do
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Fueling at night at small stations is a risk for all, especially for women as you know.

What is recommended, for a number of reasons, is to fill up when you have ½ a tank of gas…that way you have plenty of time to pick the right place and the right time of the day.

If night is approaching and a long trip is ahead…best to ‘top off’ during daylight hours every chance we get.

As you point out, best to develop a habit to always remove the keys and lock the car every time you exit, even for gassing up.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Flying bricks at your car

This is sobering as there have been such incidents lately.

This is one of those "heads up" kind of communications so that it does not happen to you.

This past Saturday evening, me, my wife, and a friend of ours were traveling down Upper Wetumpka hwy just a few blocks from downtown Montgomery, when we were hit with bricks and large rocks.

One rock took out our rear tail lamp and a brick hit the hood up near the windshield which pierced the metal an opening 5 inches long. If the brick had been just a few inches higher, it would have come through the windshield and I would not be the one writing this e-mail.

Although my instinct upon hearing the contact and not knowing what it was, was too slow down, those in the car with me had caught a glimpse of the flying brick and yelled for me to "get out of here!!".

We continued up several blocks and then pulled over into a church parking lot that appeared to be relatively safe. We then called 911 and begin to wait for the police to arrive.

While waiting, we noticed two cars begin to circle the block and then finally, one turned into the parking lot about 30 yards away. I immediately hit the gas and did not stop until we were past the Montgomery zoo and proceeded onto the northern blvd.

Now, I would love to tell you that was the end of the story, however this morning when my wife called the Insurance agent, we would find out just how close a call we'd had.

For the past couple weeks, there have been several reported incidents on that same stretch of road, similar to ours.

However, in most of those, the outcome was much worse, as we had only experienced step one and two in a two step "gang" related process.

Apparently these gangs in downtown Montgomery, throw things at the cars in hopes that they will stop to see what has happened. At this point other gang members already in the area ambush the stopped vehicle.

Last week a State Farm Insurance adjuster's daughter and husband were ambushed in the same area, robbed, and roughed up pretty bad. Now in looking back, we understand why those cars were circling us as we were patiently waiting for the police there in the parking lot.

By the way, when we called the dispatcher back after leaving the area, they said we had done the right thing in getting out of there when we did. Now that we know the rest of the story, we can certainly understand why.

I would love to tell you that the danger is only at night, however one report of an ambush and robbery was during the day. So, if you are traveling into or out of the city, beware!
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:08 pm

that is pretty scary stuff. remember to stay in the vehicle as it is the best defense until it no longer can move, the speed of the vehicle is your best tactical advantage.

With some more thought, how would we defend against molotov cocktails?

Does anyone here have practical experience with how long it takes for a molotov to render a vehicle unusable? Do you have a few minutes? a minute? just a few seconds?

This tactic is pretty scary no matter the projectile thrown.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:12 pm

New York Minute

When in NY…one becomes aware of the insolence of its inhabitants in a NY minute.

Johnny Carson once described a New York minute as being the time it takes "From the (traffic) lights to turn green, till the guy behind you starts honking his horn".

You also experience the same arrogance when dropping change into the canister of a toll_ booth on the highway. The horn blares the moment you come to a stop before you even stick your arm out the window to pay the toll.

During the late 1980s crime wave, David Letterman defined a New York minute as the length of time it took to be mugged in New York City.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:13 pm

If you deny that violence can happen to you, then of course you won’t be ready. If you are not ready, you won’t have a plan, and without a plan you can become a victim, or worse, a statistic.

But the typical knee-jerk response from too many people, especially martial artists, security personnel or former military members is, “I can take care of myself.”

But, often they can’t. Most violent encounters are sudden, explosive and last only a few seconds; yet they are extremely intense and can leave you critically injured or even dead.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm

learning how to kick and punch is quite simply not enough. You need to approach the issue of self-protection in a holistic manner, that is, examine what typically happens on the streets (in your area) and prepare yourself for it.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Don't swagger

There are also other lessons. Always be aware. It’s crucial. Keep a low profile: just because you’re an ex-Special Forces guy doesn’t mean a thing to a thug on the street.

You can be targeted easier on the street than on the battlefield. Never underestimate anyone, an attacker’s girlfriend, an accompanying teen, a child; they can be just as lethal as any adult.

Remember, they already have a plan -- to rob and/or shoot you. In many cases being aware of a potential problem may cause your predators to re-access their plans.

Swaggering down the street with an “I’m tough” attitude may actually attract them to you. Don’t hesitate to hurt your attacker, or even take his life to save yours.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:18 pm

Don't smart mouth

Don’t smart-mouth (verbally confront) someone who is holding a gun on you. Don’t joke around or show an attitude. Take it very seriously, give them what they want and get out of there. Just because they’re teens doesn’t mean they won’t kill you. Actually, they’re more likely to.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Don’t think a cocky attitude will save you in this type of situation.

Never get into an argument or shouting match with strangers or groups, especially teens.

And don’t depend on help from bystanders. In many cases they will not help you. Don’t let a group of people encircle you. Even a group of teens (as in this case) can suddenly overwhelm you, beat and stomp you without much difficulty.

Be non-confrontational. But, if you feel an attack is imminent, go on the offensive, attack first.

Use your pepper spray (if aware you will have taken it out by now) and spray their faces (you are carrying pepper spray, aren’t you?), then escape to safety.

If they’re still chasing you, take out your compact knife (the one you always carry for self-protection), or any other weapon and make it obvious you have it.

This alone may put off further assault. If not, and you have a knife, jab it toward their eyes, slash the skin above the eyes to cause bleeding, or cut across any wrist or hand extended toward you.

Then run. If you don’t have a weapon, throw something at them (a handful of pocket change, a magazine, book, etc.) – anything that can gain you a split second. Then run.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Proper training

Almost every school nowadays says they’re teaching Reality-Based Training, but guess what – they’re not!

If the whole curriculum is based on kicking, punching and close-up fighting, then you’re in the wrong place.

It’s important to practice conflict rehearsals that cover all phases of an event including the pre-conflict, conflict and post-conflict phases.

It’s also important to practice scenarios against multiple attackers and weapons.

Knife training is vital (I didn’t say stick training), and even if you don’t elect to carry a knife, you can still develop your skills using makeshift weapons.

I would also advise readers to learn how to shoot and safely handle a gun. It could save your life.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:43 am

The dynamics of a confrontation that starts out as we described have remained virtually unchanged for decades.

Why? Because men have not changed the way they fight against each other.

The fight will be close range. I don’t mean seven yards (the distance where most shooting schools prepare you to fight), but more like seven feet.

Often it may begin at arm's range, beginning as a fist fight, or a "mad dogging" session.

There will often be at least two adversaries, sometimes more.

The bad guys know here is strength in numbers.

Low light confrontations are very likely. Because we venture out after dark so often in urban areas, and the bad guy seeks its cover, the lighting conditions may be poor.

How dark is your house at 3 AM?

There is a good chance that you may be totally unprepared, that is, not expecting a fight.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 am

Sadly that is the way most people come over to the "dark side." That's the way I came over about 20 years ago.

My x and I walked in on armed robbery in convenience store. The feeling of helplessness is still fresh in my mind. At that point, I decided that next time it would be a more "fair" encounter.

For us guys we have to ask what it would be like if our home were invaded, with wife and kids there? Could we live with a sexual assault against our wife our daughter?

I'm sure all on wt would have the same answer; NO!!! Of coarse just having a gun is not all there is to it.

A lot of home invaders scope out the home before just busting in. If your target house looks, "hard", Fences, lights, and a dog or 2 most likely they will seek easier prey.

I was just in a jury duty selection process where sadly I was not picked. The defendant was a home invader who pistol whipped an elderly lady.

I wanted to be on that jury so bad I was foaming at the mouth. The "accused" gave a stare down at each perspective juror for intimidation. I kept wondering how his pimp shirt would have looked with a load of 00, ripping through it.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:03 am

A Murder In Manila

A very gentle person and great friend, was mercilessly knifed to death couple weeks ago in Manila.

His name was Ernest Santiago, former owner of the world famous Coco Banana Night Club, a place in Manila where Bob Campbell had spent a Thousand Nights of magic and life time of memories... in the company of famous, beautiful people.

Ernest was supposed to sit next to Bob Campbell at the wedding he went to Manila to attend recently.

Bob learned of this while at his hotel where he was treated as a king by decades of old friends and students who visited him.

Incidentally, Manila, the Philippines, was and remains as one of the most dangerous places in the world......hence Bob Campbell was called upon to train the Presidential Body Guards and the Sons of the Elite at the Marcos palace many years ago. He was a resident of the palace.

With this tragedy it struck Bob once again how life can be taken from us so suddenly, yet we allow ourselves to waste time with the shit-heads of this world no matter how hard we try to keep them away.

He has resolved and recommends that we likewise become more and more discerning with our choices of companionship and friends, make more time for those we love and keep away the undesirables. :(
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities