For Sale_ This Old House

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: For Sale_ This Old House

Postby Van Canna » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:01 am

To my family and loved ones:

There were a lot of things that I never said in life. In a way, I regret that, because I've always tried to live in a manner that I could say and do without regret.

Words have never been adequate modes of expressing my feelings and thoughts, so I've always reverted to action as a form of expression.

In that, I hope I did not fail. Know that I love you and that even in death I shall love you. There is nothing I wouldn't do for you, and the love I feel and felt for you shall endure, even in death.

* To the sweetest person in this world. I will miss you. I love you.

You are wonderful. And I have to admit that I'm glad I went before you because I don't think I could have survived living without you. I'm sorry that I left you...but we shall meet again love… I love you.

* As long as anything affected by my existence remains in this world, I will be remembered. As long as the memories are in someone's mind, I will be alive. ~

* Mom and Dad: Your strength has always been a guiding value in my life. I cannot imagine the adversity you have encountered in your life, and you've both managed to continue on. I admire that and I can only hope that I lived my life up to your standards.

I love you both very dearly. You were wonderful parents, both strict and forgiving. Even in the bad times I knew that you loved me and would do anything for me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so wonderful.

* In a very real sense, each of us has been given a gold container filled with unconditional love from our children, friends, family, and God.

There is no more precious possession anyone could hold.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Enjoy it while you're down there. Enjoy the discovery, you don't get to do that any more after you pass on. It's easy to forget sometimes, but you don't have forever. Just enjoy it while you have it.

* To my family and friends, I’m not really gone, because I’ll always be with you, in spirit and I hope forever in your memories.

Remember, always, that I love you.

Remember these things, and follow your heart. I hope you discover what I discovered --

that the world is full of beauty, hope, wonder, and love. And I hope you come to realize what I realized -- that nothing else matters. Nothing.

* And now…It's beautiful outside. Bright early winter sun warms my face, the streets are choked with red and yellow leaves, and the air is crisp with possibility. I must go for a walk.

Made of dust, to return to dust. Every atom that was me is now a part of you.

You are never alone.

I love you all.
<<

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:21 pm

At Night

It is always at night. I have no words to describe its contours, the angles where colors disappear and emotions breathe deeply.

Flashing emotions as I retire in my secret space and have a listen to only the fleeting sighs of my heart.

All is still inside and out, my cat coiled at my feet, a moon beam peeking at my window, distant sounds of a mournful train whistle upon the darkness.

This is of my nights when I grapple at the last vanishing of the senses but bounce back fully capable of thoughts of life.

The night as an animal that doesn’t know its own name or the name of its master.

So we sit together listening to the rustle of deep thoughts pursuing one another without answers in ambiguity.

I don’t know the answers, but I like the questions. And the lights and colors I suddenly imagine nudging at my eyes.

What will I do tomorrow if the today burdens me with necessities? I need a long night of rest to smoothen the plain making ready my arms and legs to bolt at first sight of an anxious predator but knowing that it will be the sudden dawn that will awaken me_

It seems there is never enough time to rest continuously and it feels as a slow consumption.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:22 pm

I seek familiar metal in the dark, which which is now part of me, the glass feels cold, I clear the fog from my eyes and turn on a friendly light.

The room I know seems brand new and I marvel at my quick recollection of physical and emotional distances of life beckoning.

Should I lay my head on the pillow to rest and scatter any inquietude? But a last wish of looking at the remainder of the day and ‘an order’ to recount and narrate.

And so I palm a tower of metal and turn on my computer, a robot that really cares for me, as if it had human qualities.

I listen to its rapid rolling _ a boat at anchor tugging restlessly at this sea of silence of mine.

I caress the keyboard keys, almost invisible and I let my words and thoughts flow rapidly, stopping only when a shiver rises from my feet and is absorbed in the heat of my legs that twitch the swiveling chair.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:22 pm

A random shooting star of musical whispers, the words are called and they ‘arrange’ on the screen as if they knew their place.

Not knowing how the first review will be for me, when the desire of searching ebbs, I feel empty, but in a rapid ‘look back’ I recognize the pauses, the choices, and wonder at the small joy that gifts a sudden word that ‘assaults’ from the bottom of my memory to complete the sentence or phrase.

I think not to be in a hurry to relive those moments in time, gifts of a mysterious giver. There isn’t one without the other, and sadly we are never given the chance to ‘retry’ _

every one of these colors of the mind is unique because it cannot repeat, same as me. So I accept that it is futile to try and resolve/overcome something that then will be resolved/overcome in due time.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

And it is here that I return, in a solitary villa of the mind overlooking the shining sea _ memories of my beautiful Mediterranean house with my secret place always ready to welcome my human solitude upon returning from my fugacious sorties upon the world to lie down safely at rest.

Because life was not easy, if something good or bad happened, it just happened and something inside changed, making me different than before. I was used to that after all my reflections in the dark corners of the mind.

The joys, great riches of life, were so impetuous and they would arrive as sudden gusts of winds that overpowered a bit and with the same impetus next vanished as suddenly.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Diverse sufferings so difficult to live_ tolerating what they leave inside, the signs that with the miracle of time attenuate but remain under the skin to surface upon mysterious callings.

And now the torment of the Xmas holidays in a solitude of the mind.

I lower the eyes upon my computer table and smile. Placing it under the window was a compulsion. I knew it would be a place where I would pass many hours of my life, in writing, reading, and thinking surrounded by my world and my cyber friends that are many.

Every few minutes of inactivity or ‘nodding off’ the screen saver asserts its control. A world of vivid colors captures me. I smile and perceive the passage of time.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:28 pm

I don’t remember having changed the image. I was waiting for a starburst to fill the screen.

With my elbows braced on the table and my chin supported by my fists, I remain hypnotized_ who in hell changed the screen saver? It must have been me after all.

Who knows for what mysterious motive, the mind absorbs certain things and rejects others? And who knows why things really neat are the ones to forget?

The screen saver…who knows how the world would look from down there?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Night Musings

it is interesting that when we are young, we feel invincible, indestructible... the twilight years of our lives, the ending years, days and hours of our lives are so distant that we simply don't think about them, don't focus on them...

_ and maybe that is as it should be... by setting those issues and concerns aside, the young can concentrate on the here and now - facing challenges, overcoming them, doing what is needed for today as well as planning for future generations...

yet, just because one chooses not to dwell on the future doesn't mean that the future isn't performing that magical trick of transforming itself into the now and finally into the past... we all get old, we all die on our appointed day and hour... _

so allow me to suggest to the young that you at least think about and consider the future, for sooner than you can imagine, the future will be your present and in the blink of an eye become your past... unfortunately, too often such suggestions fall on deaf ears...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:31 pm

we fail to make our case to the young... it is with this thought in mind that I thought perhaps there might be a way I might put the passage of time into concrete terms that the young can understand...

so - let's talk money... let's assume, for the sake of this discussion, that the average life span is 80 years, and let's assume that on the day of your birth you, young one, are given $80, one dollar for each year you are expected to live... and for each year you live, one dollar is taken away....

in fact, for each week you live, about 2 cents is taken away... a paltry sum for a week of life, isn't it??? at the end of any given year, you will have spent $1 of your $80 - well worth the price...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:32 pm

when you hit your teens you will have $67 left in your life's account... when you are old enough to drive, you'll have $62 left... old enough to vote??? you're down to $59... still a lot of money left though, isn't it???

at age 30 you will have $50 left - a tidy sum... at 40, you can either think of the glass half full or half empty since $40 will be gone, and $40 will be left... by age 50, 62.5% of your life account will be spent, leaving you with $30...

then you zip by age 60 with $20 in that life bank, and when they hand you your Medicare card, you'll be reminded you only have $15 left...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:33 pm

trust me on this one - from here on out, you'll be trying to save every dollar, every dime, every penny you can... you'll take time to look back, recalling how you spend all that money, trying to judge how much was spent wisely and how much you spent frivolously... now you realize how valuable even two cents worth of life is...

but we all know life can toss one a curve - those bad news and good news times... the bad news is that there could come a time when some doctor, the auditor of your life's account, says something went wrong and you only have about a buck left in your account -

a year at best... and that might come when you are 50 or 40 when you thought $30 or $40 was still in your account... should that happen, you won't need to first spend $79 to know what you would know at age 79.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:34 pm

you'll know it within days of getting that audit report... then you'll know how precious not only every dollar, every penny is, but how precious every breathe is...

of course, life can sometimes bring good news, and you might find when you spent the last cent of the $80, someone has graciously added a few more dollars to your account... should you be that fortunate, bow you head, say thanks and continue to spend how ever much is left wisely...

so, whatever your age, consider how much of that $80 you have already spent and decide if you are investing it wisely... and when your finally spend that last penny, I hope you will be happy with the final accounting of the money you were given all those many years ago...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:35 pm

ask 100 people what they value the most and, likely, you will get 100 different answers.... for some it is their house, for others it is their car or some valuable piece of jewelry... many will say money for with it you can get just about anything you want...

some will astutely say it is their spouse, their children, grandchildren or family... yet the one thing we should value the most we take for granted... it is an unbelievably large fortune we too often spend carelessly...

of course I am speaking of time... for it is time that allows us to have all else... like money, we can spend it foolishly or spend it wisely... just as we often spend our money on things we soon discard, too often we squander time...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:36 pm

we waste it on things we find later in life really meant little... unfortunately, we never seem to recognize how we are spending our time until much later in life when our fortune is nearly all gone...

how you spent you money can be measured by what you accumulate, and how you spent your time can be measured by the experiences and memories you accumulate...

when your shopping spree with time is over, will you be able to say that you are happy and content with how you spent your time??? will you be happy with the experiences and memories you have accumulated?
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities