Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:07 am

"It's that time of year again," said Burlington police Sergeant Glen Mills, shortly after reporting to work Friday, the first day of the holiday shopping season. "Here we go. More crime, more reports. . . . Even a minor arrest will generate hours of paperwork for us."

It is a problem that police officers face in many communities with major retail destinations. The holiday season may be about peace on Earth and good will toward men - in theory.

But police officers in Burlington, Braintree, Watertown, and other communities know otherwise.

Last year, three times a day, on average, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, Burlington police responded to calls at the Burlington Mall, an 86-acre retail giant just off Interstate 95 - far more than usual, according to police.
One store last year reported $2,300 worth of goods stolen.

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:17 am

Three shoppers reported being scammed out of $10,600 by a con artist posing as a salesman selling plasma televisions.

There were 25 car accidents reported to police within a few blocks of the mall - a figure that does not include minor fender-benders, police say, and so represents just a percentage of last year's holiday shopping accidents.

And then there were the arguments - usually over parking spots.

"That happens all the time," said Burlington patrolman Jim Tigges. "Mostly, at Christmastime, it's the usual. 'This the season, we say. I had to break up two women fighting last year."

The vermin of humanity invades the malls during the holidays...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:18 am

And the Burlington Mall is hardly the only shopping center generating police reports this time of year. Last year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the Watertown police responded to 111 calls at the Arsenal Mall and Watertown Mall.

And in Braintree, the South Shore Plaza kept local police even busier.

Police there reported 295 incidents at the mall between Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve , including 52 larcenies, 47 auto accidents, 32 medical calls, 16 disturbances, three assaults, and one case in which a customer reported that store employees were being "verbally abusive to her."

Braintree police Deputy Chief Russell Jenkins said the holiday season has become the department's busiest time of year. To prepare this year, Braintree police got creative. The department opened a substation near the food court inside the mall where officers are able to file reports, if necessary.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:21 am

"It's a great time to be a criminal," he said as he cruised the parking lot, eyeing the GPS units that people had left on their dashboards. Pointing to one unit in particular, he said, "If we were bad guys right now, we'd jump out and grab that baby. There's nobody out here. Nobody would ever know we broke into that car."

He said shoppers need to be smart and that there is only so much the police can do. On the busiest shopping days of the year, the Burlington Mall feels bigger than the town itself. And with the crowds, police officers say, there will be some nasty days ahead.

The low point will come around mid-December, said Sergeant Mike McDade, when people really start to feel the pressure of buying presents for their loved ones.

Then there will be anger and maybe some fighting, shouting, and perhaps a little crying. In more than a decade of keeping the peace at the mall, McDade has seen just about everything.

"I've had at least a half dozen times over the last 14 years when people would break down and cry, telling me how stressed they are and how they can't handle it," he said. "I always tell them to take a breather before heading into the stores."
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 am

f.Channell »

Not to mention all the pedophiles walking around.

Shop online. Avoid those places.

Fred
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:23 am

TSDguy »

I had some huge guy that told me he just got out of prison _try to shake me down for 20 bucks on a cross street next to Washington Street (busy shopping area of Boston.) He did not get it, and I quickly got back on the main street. So much for shortcuts!

Milk Street. We were trying to avoid the crowds on Washington by taking whatever that parallel street is.

Not to brag or anything, but I've always thought I'm extremely good at reading body language or judging people's actual intents, so this guy caught me by surprise.

He started by asking me if I knew Boston well, and being near Quincy Market, I expected it. I stopped thinking I was giving directions, but he had only asked to get me to stop.

He started in on a nonsensical story about why he needed money, how he was fresh out of prison (he looked it, he clearly lifted weights a LOT), and I said "sorry can't help ya" and turned to leave.

He started getting whiney and persistent, while following us. It was sort of odd to keep him sideways to me instead of my back to him (I was completely expecting a sucker punch, if not a knife at this point), in between him and my wife, and still walk away.

He got semi-violent; was swearing loudly at us and punching the air. I took my wife through some traffic so that he would stop following.

We headed straight for the crowds on Washington and soon we were far enough away in a big enough crowd he couldn't have continued following if he'd tried harder.

TSDguy
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 am

Kuma-de »

Let's not forget that home grown Islamic radicals have been making threats to hit a mall in the USA during Christmastime.

Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:30 am

Malls really a prime target during Holiday season for terror attacks and shooters.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:42 pm

Self consciousness. People who are carrying for the first time…or uncomfortable with carrying tend to be very gun sensitive. They constantly check and adjust and walk with a strange gait, constantly looking for someone looking at them. That is noticeable to those who are looking.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:50 pm

It is my contention that if sleeping for one sleep period or even two, helps an officer have better recall of the incident, how much more is it necessary for us ordinary folk?

Taking the tip from paragraph six here, we can give enough brief information for the investigation to get underway, but then we should clam up and ask for a lawyer to be present.

If someone implies that only the guilty need a lawyer, inform them that you are just too shaken up and highly stressed out to talk and you need your lawyer’s advice. Then be quiet. You must take the time to allow your heart rate to reduce, your emotions to quiet and your mind to settle.

Your lawyer can instruct the police that you are quite willing to cooperate when you feel more emotionally balanced, and will return to give a statement within the next 48 hours.

If you are held in custody, it may be hard, but sleep is your most important survival tactic at this time.

And all this is especially relevant if you justifiably defended yourself from a life threatening attack.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:53 pm

During high levels of SNS (Sympathetic Nervous System) excitement, however, cortisol is released at higher levels. A release of too much cortisol can lead to individual neuron binding, resulting in a burning of the nerve cell.

This results in the hippocampus’ inability to organize the components of a survival stress event into a whole memory unit (Ratey, 2001). Thus, memory will be fragmented, especially within the first 72 hours.”

It is this report that punches up the time required for complete memory integration and recall to as high as 72 hours.

Instruct your lawyer to get you as much time as he can (you may not be able to get into REM sleep for a night or two) to help with memory integration.

It may be necessary to provide him with copies of these articles to get him to pay attention, perhaps by giving him the url for defendyourself101.ca <hint, hint>.

Also, the line in paragraph 1. “...officers reported a triggering event assisted in the memory of the event, the most significant being a visual trigger,” refers to walking through the scene of the attack and going over the details in sequence.

While the lawyer is invaluable in instructing you on fine points of the law and how to speak to the investigating detectives, his most important role may just be helping you to get some sleep.

Ted Truscott
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:16 pm

The police will bring lots of pressure to bear as it is their job is to get information as quickly as possible, even as they themselves have been trained not to make any statements to anyone under similar circumstances. They will be ‘nice’ to you_ and they will be nasty to you with threats and intimidation to make you talk.

A person who has been traumatized by being involved in an accident, a fatality on the highway, an assault that required defensive use of force by empty hands and or weapons _ is under a tremendous pressure to talk instinctively and try to convince that none of what happened was his fault.

The brain cannot think logically at that moment and he will experience logorrhea, as per the lethal force institute teachings_

Logorrhea= compulsive talking to exculpate without even realizing it.

1) Your primal response is one of, “That guy just tried to kill me but I’m still alive! I must have done something right! “ and

2) The “official” response to your life-preserving action is, “Get on the ground, scumbag! You’re under arrest!” and

3) The tool you just used to preserve your very life, and now have a fond regard for, is forcibly removed from you; you’re, not gently, physically restrained and handcuffed, then cruelly isolated by being tossed into a filthy cage intended for predatory criminals,

with no contact with any compassionate individual who could calm and comfort you, a form of torture for the specific purpose to psychologically defeat you when you’re at your lowest emotional point, impersonally “grilling” you, thereby fostering further doubt and insidiously “planting” their version of events which your information-starved brain regurgitates and solidifies

-permanently, through confabulation, so real you’ll pass a lie-detector test about it -into the “real” way it happened.

Your immediate body reactions may include: trembling, sweating, chills, hyperventilation, dizziness, jumpiness, hyperactivity, thirstiness, upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, constant urge to urinate, sleep disturbance and nightmares.

Your long-term reaction may be a preoccupation with the event, reliving it over and over, second-guessing yourself, the feeling that you must have done something wrong, to the point where it metamorphosises into your shadow, always with you:

to experience irritability, loss of ability to function, outbreaks of rage, loss of ability to eat and sleep, tremors, sweats, nightmares, clinical depression, possibly even to the point of suicide, sexual dysfunction including impotence, flashbacks, inability to control your emotions, or other symptoms, such as survivor guilt, the “mark of Cain syndrome” (everyone knows what I’ve done),

social withdrawal, ostracization, the feeling that “nobody else understands,” disorientation, confusion, inability to concentrate and exaggerated startle response; but if you’ve trained properly and mentally prepared yourself in advance with a dedicated, close-knit team of reassuring friends and relatives who understand and agree with your point of view, then your psychic cost can be lowered.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm

[People in crisis who have just survived near-death experiences are notoriously incapable of making articulate statements that clearly explain what has happened and why it happened. The more we can keep a lid on logorrhea, the better off we are in the aftermath of these incidents, and the better the truth of the investigation will be served.]
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:22 pm

The Misunderstood Explanation

Immediately after a situation you try to explain what happened by giving the whole story and then you stop when you realize what had happened actually sinks in. The explanation isn’t complete and the wrong information is then assumed to be the answer cause you freeze up , or zone out is the word commonly used.

Words of Hate

Words slipping out by accident after a situation will cause problems as well.
An example would be you are highly excited and after you shoot someone, let’s say he was a black man, you say something similar to “Black Bastard”. Those words will be used as a hate crime incident.

Words of Others

Some one who witnesses the incident makes a comment like “Die #####” or something similar. This could be used in your court case if it goes that far. And might even be said to have come from you by another witness who didn’t really know where it came from.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:23 pm

In an encounter, you may have some good reason to need to leave the scene of the incident. You may need to call for police or ambulance, etc.
Make this vocal and do it immediately don’t put it off. Then return just as immediately.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities