Fire Dragon Fitness

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

f.Channell

Fire Dragon Fitness

Post by f.Channell »

Sensei Bill,

I can't recall the Fire Dragon fitness standards.

I was wondering how they stack up against the Presidential Fitness standards.

They have 3 levels it seems.

Here's the site:

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/educ ... _test.aspx

Presidential award seems quite tough. 6.06 mile is a tough run.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Here is a discussion leading up to the 2005 challenge:
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?p=121001
Bill Glasheen wrote: Here is the test, with a few details to be figured out later.

Stage 1: Maximum push-ups that can be done in a minute. These will be flat-handed pushups, with elbows rubbing against the body (sort of like karate fist pushups). I'm still debating on whether or not to ask for fist pushups. Right now I think not, but opinions welcome here.

Quickly go to stage 2.

Stage 2: Maximum pull-ups that can be done in a minute. (This is the one I want to do a little more research on.) You get one shot here. Once your feet touch the ground, you are done.

Quickly go to stage 3:

Stage 3: Maximum sit-ups that can be done in a minute. These will be bent-knee situps with a partner holding your feet.

Quickly go to stage 4:

Stage 4: You get one minute to do 2 tries at a standing broad jump. Your best effort is your score.

Quickly go to stage 5:

Stage 5 : Maximum number of "squats" that can be done in a minute. A squat is to be done down to thigh-parallel, and then stand completely up. Any squat that doesn't go down that far, or goes all the way down does not count. Judge will stop you if form gets unacceptable.

Quicly go to stage 6:

Stage 6: A one-mile run.
Glenn
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

And a discussion leading up to the 200 challenge:
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?p=148027
Bill Glasheen wrote: I believe we will have one slight change on the time allowed in one of the events. Rich and I are going over it. Basically we've been drawing from a number of standard fitness tests used by the military.
Glenn
gmattson
Site Admin

My Florida team

Post by gmattson »

will be on deck, ready to set some new records in the FireDragon Challenge this year! I've been "whipping" them into shape all year and they are looking forward to taking on those "NewEnglanders" on Saturday! :)

I hope you "NewEnglanders' have been working out! :)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I thought it would be interesting to compare and contrast the tests.

The Presidential award seems to be quite a challenge.

This award system and testing has changed from what it used to be.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Sorry for the late response. I've been on an extended business trip.

With the help of subject matter expert Rich Castanet, I patterned our Firedragon test after some of the military standards. I looked at what the various branches of the service used, and came up with something which covered all the bases the best we can in such a short test.

There are many, many challenges to doing something like this, Fred.
  • There's no guarantee you will have special equipment in the venue you will have the test. Even doing something like a chin-up can present a challenge. We have a few beefy boys taking the tests, and those stupid things you buy in the store to put in a doorway won't work without drilling holes.
  • Martial arts requires that the entire body be fit. We must have flexors match extensors. We must have upper body match lower body. And we must be able to demonstrate core muscle function.
  • Martial arts is primarily an anaerobic activity. Thus tests which are heavy on aerobic capacity may make a few long distance runners look good, but the martial arts cream won't rise to the top. A perfect fitness test challenges all three bands of energy production: phosphocreatine, glycolitic, and aerobic.
  • We also must measure a balance of endurance, strength, and power. Martial arts uses all three capabilities. Some of that is muscular, challenging both slow and fast twitch. And some of that is neuromuscular, challenging our dynamic stretch reflexes.
I'm always up for new ideas, so I'll review the material you brought here, Fred. Thanks a bunch for the references. 8)

Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Bill....

Post by gmattson »

I need the 2006 results ....
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I have to dig them out of archived files, George. That information was on the hard drive of a laptop from the last company I worked for. I think I have it, but I have to dig through some hard drive backups.

Will get back...

Bill
CJG

Post by CJG »

Hi Bill,

Are you going to keep the exercises in the exact order as listed above or mix up the muscle groups? I.E:

1) Push-Ups
2) Squats
3) Pull-Ups
4) Sit-Ups
5) Jump

Or is this considered the easy way out?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

CJ

Good to hear from you. I expect you'll kick bootie once again this year.

Basically we try to get the whole activity done as quickly as possible. This means that we separate people out into groups and have them do the stations based on getting everyone through at about the same time. Then we finish off with everyone starting the mile run on the same clock.

So some re-ordering will happen. But I try to make it so that there will be no advantage to any particular order.

Bill
CJG

Post by CJG »

Sounds good, thanks Bill. No performance promises but if I make it to camp I'm thinking about trying the fitness challenge again...

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”