Okinawa's Living Relics features Tomoyose Sensei

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Kuma-de

Okinawa's Living Relics features Tomoyose Sensei

Post by Kuma-de »

Check out this great video clip about the living relics of Okinawa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7te6UwgSOY

:D
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
Topos

Thank you!

Post by Topos »

Jim,

What a wonderful paean to a wonderful people. To see Sensei Tomyose in particular was inspirational.

I hope that 25 years from now I can see such a video tribute to GEM, Van, and Walter.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This is wonderful.

Of course it's great to see Tomoyose Sensei in his element. And it's also gratifying to see how much my own lifestyle has been influenced by all that is good that their lifestyle has to offer.

It is however sad to see the seduction of excess and food-for-taste transform a younger generation in ways that aren't in their best long term interest. But then again, maybe the consequences of their choices will be lessons for future generations to absorb.

- Bill
nosib

Post by nosib »

Does anyone know of any Uechi Okinawans over
90 yrs. old? Most of the individuals I/we know did not
make it much past 80. Kind of on the young side
according to the Youtube video.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

During and post-war malnutrition combined with eating food fried in motor oil from cars for a few years played havoc with the kidneys and cardiovascular systems of that generation. Tomoyose-sensei (who I believe is in his 80's) called it "Mobil Tempura."

I expect those who were very young during the war or born just after when US aid was well established will experience greater longevity.

-Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

What we have here are two examples of epidemiology by anecdote vs. a very general observation of the longevity of certain people.

World War II wreaked havoc with many populations. For example Russians who fought on their western front had very short life expectancies. Conditions were deplorable in many portions of the world after the war. The real issue is observed vs. expected lifespan. Apparently in some parts of Okinawa, people tend to live longer than average. The trend is distinct enough to take notice.

The fact that Asians (Japanese and Okinawans) who move to the West and adopt our lifetyles live about as long and suffer about as much as we do should be telling. We have enough information to know that the Burger and Fries diet might not be on the top of the list of recommended lifestyles. And we also know that stress kills.

So what is going on in Okinawa? If I had to take a guess, these are the factors that I would take note of.
  • Consumption of raw fish. We already know this is good for the cardiovascular system. Now we're learning the health benefits to our joints (which would allow us to be active longer), and even prostates. Omega-3 fatty acids not denatured by cooking are worth inclusion in the diet.
  • Lack of typical Western animal fats. Beef is the most important one here.
  • Consumption of soy vs. other animal products. The reasons are complex here. Soy is good, but don't overdo it.
  • Consumption of certain kinds of vegetables. The video mentioned sweet potatoes (high in beta carotene) vs. typical french fries, white potatoes, or pasta. Also include seaweed in that list - a source of another type of carotenoid (fucoxanthin).
  • Strong social networks.
  • Hard physical work (exercise).
  • A positive mental outlook.
  • Little tendency to overeat.
There's lots to consider there.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

and you might add. . .

Post by gmattson »

Today on Okinawa and Japan, the kids are pretty much eating the way American kids eat. . .

Of course, they are growing taller and much fatter too. . . one of the "benefits" of an American style diet.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”