High Flow Throttle Body

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

High Flow Throttle Body

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Bill,

Check this out.

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File/E6 ... series.pdf

Spoke to Steve Dinan and he recommended installing the High Flow Throttle Body on my BMW 530XI to remove the slight hesitation I get upon ‘punching it’ from a dead stop and increase immediate acceleration.

Dinan carefully bores the stock throttle body, increasing the internal diameter for greater
air-flow area. The larger bore further improves air-flow for increased power output and
more immediate throttle response.
Are you familiar with Dinan?

I am having this done in the next few days.

Thanks,
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello, Van!

I'm not familiar with the company Dinan. I am however aware of myriad aftermarket parts and supplies designed to improve performance on stock vehicles.

Did you notice the computer software you could download to get rid of the rev limiter and speed governor? Fun stuff - assuming you won't get caught going 140 mph. ;) In any case, note that they recommend you get the "Matching Stage 3 Engine Software" with the High Flow Throttle Body. Makes sense to me. These systems are all optimized for the pieces and parts they come with. You'd ideally want to re-optimize to different operating parameters.

It's difficult to tell how well this will work with the single number improvement (horsepower and torque) at 6500 and 5500 rpm respectively. That high rpm range is not where you are having your hesitation problem. I'd need to see the entire performance curves - one superimposed on the other. I doubt they'd have that, but... That's the best way to quantify the improvement. For what it's worth, you'd want to see a significant torque improvement at low rpm.

On first blush, this should help. More air/fuel flow is better. The question is how much. But for what it's worth, flow resistance is proportional to the sixth power of the tube radius. That means it only takes a little bit of increase of cross-sectional area to get a big improvement in air flow.

Good luck with this. Tell me how it works for you.

- Bill
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Van Sensei,
Why not have Fedele have some of his race friends breath some fire into it?
It starts with a throttle body and computer chip, next thing maybe a supercharger, exhaust and who knows!!

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Course I like my American power. Z06 Lingenfelter Corvette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y-zVFm ... re=related
www.hinghamkarate.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks Bill,

The hesitation is very slight and disappears quickly but I know it is there and bothers me. However when I put the steptronic-trans- shift into ‘sport mode’ and the revs move up…it seems like the hesitation is gone and car roars forward.

"Matching Stage 3 Engine Software" for this component and for the ‘High Flow Air Intake system’ and ‘Free Flow exhaust’ is being developed and should be available soon for my particular ‘computer year’ …they said. However, I was told that just the High Flow Throttle body alone will make a huge difference in rapid acceleration, they guarantee it.

I want the whole package, since I like the way this particular model year behaves and responds to my voice commands, along with the striking dark wood paneling/leather that includes the shifting handle/console area…not the gaudy reflective metal I see in the new Bimmer.

Also the beige later seats on my Silver came standard…in the new models the silver color comes with black leather that I don’t care for. The beige is very elegant.

Fred,

I hear you…problem is if you touch a BMW with components not agreeable to the factory, the warranty goes out the window.

Dinan is now in a partnership with BMW and all warranties stand with Dinan parts.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

f.Channell wrote:Hows this compare Van?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXGKdjnq ... re=related
That is sweet music to my ears, Fred, almost as much as Opera music.

Love that sound.

Other sounds that I grew up with in Italy are the street Ferraris and Maserati Quattroporte.

Can you come up with some sound clips from you tube?

The sound of Italian sports cars' engines are to women what the sirens' singing was to Ulysses when tied to a mast. :wink:

Van
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

Van,

As an old BMW guy (or a guy who used to be into old BMWs), I can vouch for the Dinan name. They have a LONG history in the BMW aftermarket and I have never heard anything negative.

fwiw
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks Ted. :)
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdYGNVYI7Q&NR=1

Fred,

The above is a stock E60-530i?

If so, that's exactly my car...except mine would have an 'all wheel drive' [XI]

Not a bad sound if 'standard equipment' _

I get a similar sound when I put it into 'Sports mode' ....
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Well, Bill...the High flow Dinan throttle body has been installed.

I do notice a more immediate acceleration and increased torque at the low end.

With the tran in S mode...it is even punchier.

Those BMW engines are beasts on the road for sure. 8O
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van Canna wrote:
Those BMW engines are beasts on the road for sure. 8O
The inline 6 is considered by many to be a superior design. It's more difficult to fit an inline into an engine compartment than a similar displacement V-6, but it's a very "torquey" design choice.

Is your engine turbocharged? I noted that the 535xi is. If so, part of the problem may be something called "turbo lag."

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

No Bill, my 530Xi is not a turbo.

Recall I was considering buying a 535 turbo last year, but decided against it after a test drive.

Did not have the expected 'overpunch' in relation to the standard 6, and the new Bimmer had some cosmetic and functional differences that turned me off.

The 530XI is considered to be a classic BMW workhorse with all the 'right stuff' in it.

2010 might be the year of the small V8 Turbo...that will surely prod my interest...we'll see.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

That's just as well, Van. Naturally aspirated engines tend to last longer due to simplicity and other factors. The only engines that are a "must" for turbocharging are diesels, which by their inherent design are simple in other ways anyway.

It's very difficult to tell which way car technology will go in the next decade. My sense is that conventional internal combustion will stay for a while out of short term cost necessity. But battery/electric vehicles seem to be the way the future is shaping up. The good news about those is that they have very high low-end torque, and there is a lot of flexibility in terms of how that electricity can be generated. You also don't need a new infrastructure to get it going. Everyone has AC in their garage. The key to all this though is a better lithium ion battery. If ever there is a direction to do a "Manhattan project" for the future of the U.S. auto industries, batteries are where it's at.

Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks Bill. Good points.

No question about low end torque in my 530XI.

I hit the pedal and cars behind me seem to disappear from view very quickly.
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”