Congratulations to George on 10th dan

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Congratulations to George on 10th dan

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Tonight George Mattson was awarded judan by the organization that he founded and the small nation of people that he started in karate. I can't believe someone actually asked me to endorse the decision at one small step in the process; I was humbled and frankly felt a bit silly. But it was most certainly an honor.

We are indebted, George!

- Bill Glasheen
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Congratulations, George!
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Congratulations indeed and George stepped up to the plate and did a powerful/smooth seisan Kata.

Certainly an event burned in memory for the way it was done...and George humbly accepting validation from his peers and quite a number of Chinese martial arts associations welcoming him into that 'special fold' ...

Too bad you missed Bill.

And the seminars were outstanding...Robb Buckland of Fears LTD _ had an interesting one on the 'split second street fight'...and Roy Bedard and Adam presented something so valuable in the way of rescue and survival that was something else...as none of us can boast of such expertise.

Adam's concepts in well balanced core strenght, endurance etc., was superb. Thank you Adam.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I was there via the wonders of modern technology, Van. 8)

Speaking of Adam...

Vicki ran the FireDragon fitness challenge in my absence, and phoned the raw scores to me. I ran them through the normalization and age-sex adjustment algorithms, and sent the results back up before the ceremony Saturday evening. By now you know that Adam did superbly in the FireDragon assessment.

And speaking of core muscle involvement... The FireDragon fitness challenge has 6 stations that are designed to test all body parts (more or less) and assess all aspects of fitness (strength, endurance, and explosiveness). One of the things lacking in the performance of many Uechika is that explosiveness part - assessed in my challenge by the standing broad jump. It's a stupid-simple check of core muscle explosive ability.

And wouldn't you know that Adam did EXTREMELY well both on the test overall and specifically on the broad jump. He was a fraction of an inch short of the broad jump record - held by Nebraska Uechika Kevin Guse. Kevin, for those who don't know, used to play on the Nebraska football team. And Adam I hear was once in the Red Sox farm system. The 3rd person who has done consistently well on the broad jump (within age-sex category) is Bridget. Again... an example of a well-trained athlete.

Our Uechika need more plyometric work. It's not that hard to include in a Uechi class. I've been doing it with my own, and see results already. And of course all Uechi masters worth their certificates should know about and be teaching the use of core muscle explosiveness in Uechi techniques. Right Van? ;)

- Bill

P.S. This is officially an endorsement of whatever the heck Adam is doing and teaching. Take note, Uechika; Adam can walk the talk.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Agree on all counts :)

In fact all the medicine ball core power exercises Adam was showing_ We do in my dojo to the point of collapse at times.

Maloney witnessed some of them, along with lots of the impact training, we 'tack on' and the results are amazing.

Maloney takes it one step further:

From his Black belts...he demands that all impact techniques from the kata_ matters not which kata...must be performed not with air strikes but against any kind of resistance he can put in their way.

The 'air strikes' performance he still does for the different good reasons we all need to do them.

Now, because of the type of training he does...his students have retained the name of yore "Maloney's Raiders" _ :wink:
Van
mikemurphy

Congratulations

Post by mikemurphy »

Congratulations to George Sensei! There is no one in the United States that deserves this honor more. George Sensei is a pioneer, teacher, practitioner, friend, and living legend to all of us who study Uechi-ryu. This award is well-deserved!

Congrats again George,

Mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Glad I was there and have his last 9th Dan kata on video!
Congratulations
:multi: :multi: :multi:
Toni West also put on an inspirational performance.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
AlanL

10 dan!!

Post by AlanL »

A life long of commitment and accomplishments! Truly deserving.. with respect and honor Congratulations!!!!!!
Alan
gmattson
Site Admin

Thanks everyone. . .

Post by gmattson »

It was truly a surprise. . .

I did all of Adam's workout. . . Although I thought I was in pretty good condition, at least one of the drills worked my quadriceps in a way I was completely unfamiliar with. . . :) and although I didn't feel any pain or discomfort during most of my kata, when I attempted to do the jump-back, my quads felt like someone had injected novacain into them. I almost fell over!

Thanks Adam!!!! :)

Clip posted. Check it out!

http://uechi-ryu.com/j/index.php?option ... &Itemid=78
Last edited by gmattson on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Yes, Toni West was/is an inspiration to us all much like our Bill Bauchnect.
Van
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

My memory is maxed out in my computer so I have some fixing to do.
I could put it up on you tube thereafter. Toni and the other candidates I would want their permission first as I wouldn't want to see myself without someone asking. A lot of strong performances of kata that night.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

George, congratulations!
Chris
AE Moores

Post by AE Moores »

Sensei,
Congratulations! It was much deserved!! I think Mike Murphy summed it up best.

By far one the most amazing things I think I've seen in the martial arts was Toni West spirit and perseverance demonstrated on Saturday night. What amazing spirit! And here I was complaining about my tight hamstring that morning. I was very humbled. Congratulations Ms. West!!
Shugyo Training Camp
www.atlantickarate.com
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Gem Sensei .

Congratulations ,regards Max.
max ainley
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Congratulations!
Glenn

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”