Kudos to UVA Uechi-Ryu

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

hsohn

Kudos to UVA Uechi-Ryu

Post by hsohn »

University of Virginia held the first UVA Martial Arts Expo(hopefully first annual)

Pleasant lighthearted gathering of martial arts clubs at UVA. The 2 Uechi students who demonstrated their techniques comported themselves well. Demonstration was fun and conveyed basic techniques and applications well. Well Done!!
Benjamin R Hathaway

Kudos to UVA Uechi-Ryu

Post by Benjamin R Hathaway »

Hello, I work out in Roanoke VA with Doug Bleeker. We have gone from the two of us to actually having a program at a local health club. It is nice to see other schools in the area doing well. Hopefully I will have my Dan rank in a year or two and will help to proliferate the style even further.
Ted Dinwiddie

Kudos to UVA Uechi-Ryu

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

One of my Instructors, Joe Aldridge, was in the audience. He said it was a good event. He was disappointed that the Shotokan (SKA) big boys (and UVa Alum) from the Richmond area (Ashland) were able to make it, but the Uechi-ka were not. He has heard alot from me about this forum as well as the Shotokan dojo in Ashland where I started my journey.

Given some of the heavyweights around Charlottesville (two or three hours drive), the UVa expo could become a real event.

------------------
ted

"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke

[This message has been edited by Ted Dinwiddie (edited February 11, 2002).]
hsohn

Kudos to UVA Uechi-Ryu

Post by hsohn »

Always a pleasure to see Sensei Aldridge at this sort of thing. Been almost 2 years since I have been able to make it to one of his open wednesday nights.

Not sure I'd want to see it grow too large. The day was already pretty packed with stuff. And when it gets more crowded as I have seen at past Culture Fests that included MA, there is no opportunity to go check out the club tables and get more details.

Greater attendance by people outside of MA would have been nice. But then they really aren't as motivated to attend this sort of thing. Also would be nice to see it happen early in the academic year so that students could make this a part of their routine. Personal feeling is that this won't actually increase the crosstraining at UVA because of the timing.

Surprised to see the array of weapons at the Uechi table. Wasn't aware that kobudo was such a large part of the style.
Ted Dinwiddie

Kudos to UVA Uechi-Ryu

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

March 6 is the next one. Come and play. 7pm out in the northern wilds (Greene County). I'd personally love a little Uechi exposure. Give Joe a call.

------------------
ted

"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”