Food for thought

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

chef

Food for thought

Post by chef »

So we have talked about what kind of extra-curricular workouts we should be doing. I often heard that we are what we eat...so my question is, what should a conscientious MA be eating? What is your opinion?

Vicki
Topos

Food for thought

Post by Topos »

I fear what Van will post [grin]. At least from his other posts it could be Italian!

Food for thought

Post by Guest »

Go for the caribou, tastes great and low in fat! Don't go wimmpy on the wine. Needs to be matched with robust flavours Image

Laird
gmattson
Site Admin

Food for thought

Post by gmattson »

Bill:

Don't believe the UBB software is causing the problem of disappearing text. (Not positive though)

Generally, your computer will retain any post in memory. If something goes wrong during the posting, a click on the back button once or twice should bring back your original window. Can't think of any way our software could take control of your machine to delete all cached memory.

Check Al Kunian's latest post on the legal forum. Besides being a "must read" for teachers, its shear size should impress anyone believing the UBB software dislikes long messages.

Meganet says our server problems are fixed. You might have tried to post during one of those times between server connections. . . essentially trying to post to a dead board.

Perhaps Scott and Tony will have a better explanation. Meanwhile, keep your fingers crossed that Meganet maintains the connection.

------------------
GEM
Bill Glasheen

Food for thought

Post by Bill Glasheen »

George

This is a relatively new problem, and came about when the servers were switched (or whatever it was that happened recently that created a brief problem).

When you hit the back button, you find a blank page, as if you posted nothing. It isn't terribly predictable when it will happen. At first it was doing it ALL THE TIME. Now it only happens when it takes you more than a few minutes to type your post in.

The only way to avoid it is to copy the post before hitting the submit button. That way when it fails, you go back, and nothing is there, you can paste it right back in the blank "Your Reply" window.

I think I'm not the only one having this problem.

- Bill
Glenn

Food for thought

Post by Glenn »

I have had this problem for as long as I've been posting to these forums, about a year now. I have frequently had long posts disappear. For example if I type my forum password incorrectly so that when I submit I get that error page saying to re-enter it, when I hit the back button what I typed is usually gone. This seems to happen mostly when I am replying to someone else's post, rather than when I just do a general post of my own. The problem happens to me on two different PCs.

I've taken to copying my long, insightful posts into Word before submitting, that way I can paste them back in when they are lost.

------------------
Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn (edited November 07, 2002).]

Food for thought

Post by Guest »

I've found recently that after I submit a response I can't read it. It some times takes 15 to 20 minutes for the post to appear. The # of posts changes however. I'm not in a hurry so I can live with it Image.

I compose everything in word so I can use the spell check & then cut copy paste into the reply box. I save everything in word so if I lose the post I can retrieve it from word. Once the post is displayed on the forums I delete the word file.

Food for thought

Post by Guest »

Bill I've been told that some of the effective ways to increase metabolic rate and burn fat is:

1. Eat breakfast, if you don't feed the body it stores fat.

2. Kick start the metabolism, do your cardio work out first thing in the morning and you will have more energy all day. And your metabolism will burn fat all day instead of store fat.

3. Increased muscle mass will burn more fat.

Do you agree? (I've been missing the boat and working out in the evening)

BTW, I think the Mediterranean diet is healthy if carbo's and fat are limited.(but the cheese is so good) Another benefit to the tomatoes and the red wine, tenderizes the tougher cuts of meat, adds flavor.

Ya ya I know limit my red meat. I try to put 1 portion of meat, 2 portion of veg , and 1 portion of starch on a plate.

Know if I could just reduce the portion size Image

Laird
Adam

Food for thought

Post by Adam »

Well, I'll leave most of this to Bill, who has much more knowledge of the body's metabolism under his belt than I do.
But, as far as why you eat in the morning... When you get up in the morning you have a low level of blood sugar, so if you work out, the body needs to get it from somewhere and gets it by breaking down your muscles for the sugar stored in them.
So, if you work out in the morning and like to workout on a relatively empty stomach, have something small and balanced in the morning. (my favorite was always a handful of peanuts followed by a about half an hour of lifting in the morning)

Adam
Bill Glasheen

Food for thought

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You know, there are times when this piece of &*%$ software on these forums REALLY tick me off... Like now when I do a really long and insightful post, only to have it disappear into vapor when I hit the Submit button.

Grrrrrrr.....

It's especially aggravating now because it's around noon, I wrote about food, and now I'd rather eat than re-post. Image

George, are you aware that there's STILL a problem with these forums? It happens when you type a while and then attempt to submit. All your work just goes away!

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Food for thought

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Anyhow...

I was going to write that an Italian (actually Mediterranean) diet isn't such a bad way to go for HEALTH reasons.

* Red wine is high in beneficial polyphenols.

* Olive oil is high in beneficial monounsaturated fatty acids. (Just keep it light...)

* Cooked tomatoes have an active form of lycopene (a red carotenoid) that is beneficial to the prostate.

The only caveats are the following:

* Go light on the red meat. Too much iron isn't good for men. Arachadonic acid (a fatty acid) is very pro-inflammatory. Saturated fats are bad for your arteries, bad for your cancer risk, and bad for your waistline.

* Go light on the pasta and bread. Too much spikes your insulin, which makes you store sugar as fat as opposed to glycogen.

* Try to maximize the nuts, fish (low mercury kind), vegetables, and fruits.

And in general, eat frequent, small meals. An athlete should be concerned about maintaining ideal weight, maximizing strength, and maximizing energy output. One should seek to increase the basal metabolic rate by putting muscle on and eating in ways that don't spike your insulin (high glycemic index foods). An athlete should never go HUNGRY, but never try to be FULL; maintain an even blood sugar.

Also, TOO MUCH obsession with food is bad. One can have a treat now and then if it's small and at the end of a meal when the stomach contents will buffer it's negative effects somewhat. In other words, stay away from bad "snack food" in-between meals, but have a piece of dark chocolate at the end of a meal every once in a while. Stay away from too much drinking, but enjoy a really fine glass of wine with a meal now and then. Drink expensive, quality spirits so you can enjoy it and avoid drinking too much.

And DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS. That's probably the number one thing a person can do to improve his diet. Eight glasses (more during the summer) should be a religion.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Food for thought

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'm not going to name names but...

When I was at the New England promotional, someone on the board near me commented that there should be points taken off for high Body Mass Index. To some extent, I agree.

We athletes should view our bodies as temples. We all will be unique and not everyone is going to have a "classic" trim look. But proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle, and habits that promote maximum performance in the dojo should be part of our regimen. And it shouldn't be an issue of a crash diet to look good for the test. We all should be capable of taking the shirt off and looking our best (whatever that is) in sanchin at ANY time.

People in poor physical condition aren't just unhealthy; they also don't move very well. People that don't move well are easy targets...

Sorry if anything I said was politically incorrect or offensive but... it needs to be said. We should have some pride in our practice and our accomplishments.

- Bill
chef

Food for thought

Post by chef »

I used to work out later in the evening after karate; did this for two years. Three months ago I switched to afternoon workouts and found that suited my body much more, plus I was able to accomplish a much better and thorough workout.

After weight lifting, the muscles burn at rest so I feel like they have more time to do their thing if I work out earlier in the day, plus I can burn off what I ate. This may be a fallacy, what do you think?

The last three weeks, I started a short spell with a trainer at 8 AM. Regardless of what time I work out, I keep my workout as close as possible to one hour of continuous weight lifting with very short breaks. During those breaks I stretch those target muscles that I am working on. Bill Glasheen told me that after an hour the muscle does not have the beneficial results, that is if the workout is continuous.

I find it is essential to eat something even if a boiled egg and yogurt or possibly a healthy breakfast bar though before such early workouts for energy that has been depleted after a night's rest.

Bill also told me to alway eat some protein with my carb so the 'nut thing' is a good supplement for a piece toast or something. Morning workouts, once I have gotten used to them, really made me feel fantastic the rest of the day.

I also try to eat my biggest meal early in the day. If I am going to have carbs (and I love pasta), I try to have it for lunch.

I am an advocate of many small meals. I also keep almonds (and try walnuts), in my desk drawer at work for quick snacks....just a handful will satisfy as well as a piece of fruit which can curb a sweet tooth.

Now if I can only find a substitute for my chocolate and coffee cravings, I will be doing fine. Although there are a lot worse vices than chocolate or caffeine.

Vicki
Glenn

Food for thought

Post by Glenn »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by uglyelk:
I've found recently that after I submit a response I can't read it. It some times takes 15 to 20 minutes for the post to appear. The # of posts changes however. I'm not in a hurry so I can live with it Image.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get that too, but to get around it all you have to do is Refresh your browser window a time or two after submitting your post, then it appears. The odd thing is that when I refresh the first time it usually jumps back to the menu page that lists all of the forums, and then I go back to the particular thread I was on and refresh again and it just refreshes that thread that time.

------------------
Glenn
Brian Barry

Food for thought

Post by Brian Barry »

Bill,
OK, I'm in college and my mealtimes are kinda... inflexible. And I get three meals per day, no other options.
Now I will do a karate workout for a little under an hour, most mornings before breakfast. And a couple days a week I have a little bit of lifting after that, too. When I start feeling like I need fuel when doing my lifting, I run down to the caf, get my breakfast, and then go back and finish my workout. I can't eat beforehand because the cafeteria doesn't open until 7:15. Are you saying that it could be detrimental to work out before breakfast like this? Should I be trying to get something in my system beforehand anyway? And what would that be?

--Brian

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”