USMC Martial Arts Continues...

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

USMC Martial Arts Continues...

Post by RACastanet »

Hello all. Today marked another milestone in my climb to Black Belt in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. At 0630 this morning I began an hour plus of 'conditioning' to get warmed up for the Brown Belt test. By 0830 I had completed an almost perfect (a few techniques required a little tweaking before moving on) test and was awarded the Brown Belt.

This is a photo of the test team. I'm the guy with glasses and gray hair. To the far left is the CO of the USMC Martial Arts Center of Excellence @ Quantico, VA. To the far right is the XO. Next to me dressed in utilities is my training parter, SSgt Sean Fretwell, who volunteered to be my 'meat puppet'. Sean had to endure the demonstrating and fine tuning of my hip throws plus numerous other takedowns, chokes and joint locks.

What started out as a demo for the 'Marine for a Day' has so far lasted 39 months of training with my Marine Corps. With luck and good health I hope to get the coveted Black Belt somewhere around month 48. At that point we will need to think about one more year...

Uechi-ryu prepared me very well for this adventure. The USMC has included much of our classic karate-do in its program.

Sore but very proud,

Rich in Richmond
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich, you are a man of many talents. It's been my pleasure working with you over the years. It's clear to me that your heart can push your many abilities to achieve ends most would consider unthinkable at your age and stage in life.

Hmm.... ;)

You know I'm proud as hell, and honored to have you as a student in the finest tradition of our open-ended martial arts program. And you make all the Uechi world proud.

Please thank your CO, your XO, and Sean for me. I'm most impressed with "the experiment" - both in terms of taking you on and in terms of the scope, breadth, and depth of the MCMAP. May the relationship be fruitful, and may all the citizens of our country benefit from it for generations.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Yippee! Brown belt for Rich!
:multi: :multi: :multi:

Dana
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Rich,

True! You are an outstanding person, to achieve such a coveted award. Many of us would fall flat on our faces many times over.

Have you stopped studying Uechi in favor of the Marines program?

Will you continue with Uechi for the rest of your life , or will you stay with the "Marines concept" forever?

What has been more fulfilling for you? What do you find more complete, realistic, and effective from a defensive stand?
Van
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Thanks for the kind comments! It keeps me motivated.

To answer Van's questions:

'Have you stopped studying Uechi in favor of the Marines program?'

No, but have cut back to about two hours once a week. When I ramped up the MCMAP to twice a week, usually including one brutal training session at Quantico, I had to ease up somewhere. Too much wear and tear on the body otherwise. At some point in the not so distant future the opportunity will end and I will focus my energy on Uechi again.

'Will you continue with Uechi for the rest of your life , or will you stay with the "Marines concept" forever?'

I consider Uechi my lifetime style. I'm pursuing the MCMAP approach now as it is a window of opportunity that can close at any time any time and I must take full advantage of it. Also, I am not getting any younger and MCMAP is designed for younger warriors. However, the Marines embrace the 'force continuum' which really is something to train for forever. However, as I have stated many times, the creators of MCMAP included a lot of Uechi flavor in it. They are different but not mutually exclusive.

'What has been more fulfilling for you?

Right now, it is MCMAP. The reasons are many but one is the 'mystique' of the USMC. Also, what I am doing is just not possible for a civilian, let alone someone over 50. This is a dream come true. I'm not planning to be a professional instructor but if I were the USMC training would give me instant credibility.

'What do you find more complete, realistic, and effective from a defensive stand?'

This is an apples/oranges comparison, as MCMAP is not a civilian art, but must give the USMC program the nod on this point. The Marines are training for battle in such places as Afghanistan and Iraq. Many of the techniques are already battle tested and the rest carefully picked from the best of the martial styles in the world. To be honest, I have seen very little that anyone could not pick up at GEM's summer camp. Think of a style including close in Uechi, Raffi's knives and sticks, Joe P's and Mike's JJ and ground fighting, Evan's Kyusho. What a civilian cannot easily get is the firearms training, or even just the bayonet training available as part of the Marine Force Continuum.

Another big part is the facilities available to train in. Where else but a Quantico will you find bayonet courses, and a wide range of obstacle courses? Where will you find so many experts to train with? Where else would you be encouraged to train daily?

What is personally gratifying is that the 'management' is open to suggestions and change, even from yours truly. Things I have picked up at camp, from Bill, Raffi or others, or developed myself are being worked into the training.

I can go on and on but will wait to see if anyone else wants to jump in.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I consider Uechi my lifetime style. However, the Marines embrace the 'force continuum' which really is something to train for forever. However, as I have stated many times, the creators of MCMAP included a lot of Uechi flavor in it. They are different but not mutually exclusive.
Good for you. The Marine training , will have helped you in better understanding the emotional and physical mechanics of hand to hand combat/defense a thousand percent better than us wannabes wearing pajamas.
The Marines are training for battle in such places as Afghanistan and Iraq. Many of the techniques are already battle tested and the rest carefully picked from the best of the martial styles in the world. To be honest, I have seen very little that anyone could not pick up at GEM's summer camp. Think of a style including close in Uechi, Raffi's knives and sticks, Joe P's and Mike's JJ and ground fighting, Evan's Kyusho. What a civilian cannot easily get is the firearms training, or even just the bayonet training available as part of the Marine Force Continuum.
Right on, Rich. Our camp is unique, and growing in leaps and bounds.
Where else but a Quantico will you find bayonet courses, and a wide range of obstacle courses? Where will you find so many experts to train with? Where else would you be encouraged to train daily?

What is personally gratifying is that the 'management' is open to suggestions and change, even from yours truly. Things I have picked up at camp, from Bill, Raffi or others, or developed myself are being worked into the training.
Well..I admire their no BS approach, as some of us are inclined to display about our mighty “mushin” loaded for rabbits.

The marines must be “complete fighters” and their attitude shows why!

Congratulations. :D
Van
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

WOW!
Raffi Derderian

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Rich,
I am blown away!!!! Congrats. Your brown belt with the Marines is more of an accomplishments than most Black Belts. I remember when you told me you didn't think you'd make it to green in the corps.
Keep showing those young guns what you are made of. You inspire all of Uechi, especially me.
Raf
Halford

Once a Marine,always a Marine!

Post by Halford »

:D Yes, the comments made that your Brown Belt in the Marines is sometimes better than a Black Belt outside is worth noting and so CONGRATULATIONS on this achievement. In recent years, the military services have become more receptive to various martial arts and have had some interesting instructors and experts introduce certain things. A number of articles have appeared in various martial arts magazines describing such materials and instruction and a few video tapes are out on some of this. Anyway, it is good to see people making progress and also influencing others with their traditional martial arts and the non-traditonal. Kepe up the good work!
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Congratulations Rich :D

You are a role model for this 32 year older.

Sincerely,

Ben
AlanL

Way to go Rich!

Post by AlanL »

Rich,

Congratulations!

You're an inspriration to us all. Wish you the best for you continued sucess.
Alan

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”