The Yoga Games

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Akil Todd Harvey

The Yoga Games

Post by Akil Todd Harvey »

Ladies & Gents,

LATimes (http://www.latimes.com/) magazine section had an interesting article of potential interest to martial artists this past Sunday (9/22), regarding the latest craze in fitness, the Yoga craze.

I am interested in what you folks might think about this latest phenomena or just wanted to share......

A side note: Among the many interesting things you can find in LA, you will find businesses purporting to offer feline chircopractors. I never cease getting a laugh out of this one.

By Shawn Hubler
On a sun-soaked stage with San Francisco's Embarcadero behind them, the contestants battled fiercely, bodies glistening with sweat. All was in the details. How was their posture, their proportion? Were they graceful? How did they execute their compulsories? How difficult were their optional big-finishes?

Each went through the routine—men in swimsuits, women in spandex shorts and tank tops—as the audience, mute as a golf gallery, gasped and "ahhhed." Standing Bow. Floor Bow. Rabbit. The Paschimottanasana Stretching Pose, which is said to be much harder than it looks, really. Liz Patnode, 34, trembled and winced as she balanced on one leg, lifting the other thigh to touch her forehead. Ivy Woodruff, an intensive-care nurse, crumpled backstage after her routine, immune to the applause from both friends and rivals.

"My bow sucked! Sucked!" she wailed.

"No, you were awesome!" reassured Susan Anderson, a 27-year-old transplanted Texan who ultimately won the first Northern California Yoga Championship, held earlier this month, to no small amount of controversy. When the judges handed the tallest of the three trophies to the pigtailed yoga instructor—who had been so poised earlier, during her perfect backbend—she, too, went to pieces.

"But everyone else was so beautiful," she stammered. "I'm shocked. I'm absolutely shocked."

She's not the only one. Anderson's trophy, entitling her to a trip to the inaugural Ghosh Cup World Yoga Championship starting Wednesday at the Los Angeles Convention Center, represents the white-hot edge of the debate over the future of the ancient spiritual discipline. The event marks the first official yoga competition in this country. But yoga, critics say, is supposed to be about the unification of soul and body, the liberation of the self, about acceptance and well-being—in other words, anything but a contest.

"The whole idea of competition is contrary," says Maty Ezraty, founder of 16-year-old Yoga Works studios, based in Santa Monica.

"It's crazy," says Ezraty's partner, Chuck Miller, who has been practicing yoga for 32 years. "It's a terrible idea."

But Bikram Choudhury, the "hot yoga" mogul who organized both the championship and the Yoga Expo that will be its setting, sees it as a U.S. version of similar events in India that for centuries have done there what he aims to do here: broaden yoga's appeal.

"Yoga is not just sitting and doing meditation in the temple," says Choudhury, whose Beverly Hills-based Bikram Yoga empire stretches to hundreds of cities worldwide. Both he and his wife are former national yoga champions in India, where competitions are viewed as a way "to inspire younger generations, just like you do in sports here."

The competition has been the talk of yoga aficionados nationwide, partly because Choudhury is behind it (he tailored the rules to his postures and named the prize for his guru, Bishnu Ghosh) and partly because competitive yoga begs the larger question of the discipline's future in the United States. It's a debate that not so long ago would have aroused, at best, limited interest. But as yoga has caught on with Americans, the urge to exploit its popularity has been intense—and not just for Choudhury, who has made a fortune by copyrighting a series of 26 postures and licensing franchisees to teach them.

Though a number of practitioners say they will avoid the Expo and the championship because they see them as self-promotion for Choudhury, some quietly acknowledge that if he hadn't come up with this competition, someone else probably would have. In fact, when Yoga Journal ran a prank advertisement last year on April Fool's Day, offering a $30,000 prize to the winner of a nonexistent "Invitational Yoga Pose-Off," the blizzard of mail included this comment from an appalled subscriber: "What's scary is that the idea is not beyond believability."

Choudhury, a former weightlifter from Calcutta, says there's nothing scary about expanding yoga to include competition, except to those who don't really understand the discipline.

"I think, frankly speaking, Americans are not in a position to raise these questions. Yoga came from India thousands of years ago. We know what we are doing. People here ask all these silly questions. 'Yoga is spiritual, how can it be a competition?' I ignore it."

Indeed, he says, he hopes to bring yoga into the Olympics, "just like kick boxing and ribbon gymnastics."

"Already there are yoga competitions in Japan, Italy, Brazil and Argentina," says Choudhury, who will award the winner of this month's competition with a $3,000 prize and a round-trip plane ticket to any city on the planet. "It is only in America that this has never happened. But we are thinking we can go to the Olympics, maybe as soon as in four years."

Critics such as Ezraty bristle at that sort of ambition, not least because they view Choudhury's athletic, feel-the-burn brand of yoga as potentially damaging, physically. Among other things, Bikram yoga discourages the use of bricks and other aids that help reduce strain on developing muscles. And since the contest is designed around Bikram poses, Ezraty notes, it serves only to promote that type of yoga.

"I know what that contest is going to look like—lots of hyper-extended legs and crunched lower backs. It won't be pretty," says Ezraty, whose approach blends ashtanga, hatha and other types of yoga. "And just because something comes from India doesn't mean it's good. India is a huge country. A lot of crazy things happen there."

Northern Californians have had similar mixed feelings about the contest.

"When I told one of my friends I was doing this competition, she e-mailed me back, 'Yoga? Competition?' " says Melanie Molino, a 45-year-old former triathlete from Mill Valley who took up yoga for its noncompetitive aspects only to find herself drawn to the Northern California contest. "But I think there's room for all kinds of yoga. It's all about making yourself the best you can be. I never thought I could love myself as much as I do now."

Several days later, a letter in the San Francisco Chronicle cut to the heart of the matter. "I am announcing plans to stage a first-ever meditation competition," a reader wrote after hearing about the local yoga contest. "Points will be awarded for speed and depth in accessing bliss."
Seek knowledge from cradle to grave
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yoga has been around a very, very long time - even in this country. Like Pilates, it's resurgence is basically a function of aging baby boomers looking for new exercise experiences.

Yoga competition? I suppose. Not a lot different from gymnastics if you think about it.

I'm all for people getting out and doing something. Better than eating junk food, watching TV, and trashing your body so badly that our health insurance rates skyrocket. The big problem I see with these "rediscovered" activities is that any old fool can study a few weeks and then teach a class. I've seen some pretty bad stuff here in my gym. Sadly the average consumer doesn't know the difference.

But then that can be said of the martial arts flavor du jour.

- Bill
Spike

Post by Spike »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Yoga has The big problem I see with these "rediscovered" activities is that any old fool can study a few weeks and then teach a class.
EEK!!! 8O

But it's realistic, there are martial arts posers out there, i'm sure of it. Why not yoga?

I also agree with yoga being "Better than eating junk food, watching TV, and trashing your body so badly that our health insurance rates skyrocket."
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I am amused by the suggestion that they do a meditation competition.

How would they judge this? One way I would suggest is to hook up people to an electric encephalogram to measure brain waves... maybee, though this could be expensive.
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

It was inevitable.
ted

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
Akil Todd Harvey

Benzo,

Upon winning the meditation heavy weight division, it was heard of one contestant, "He didn't have a chance"............

And how do you respond to the question, "which is better? Hatha or Iyengar?

It is about as meaningful as someone asking what's better TKD or JKD? What's better, karate or Jujitsu? depends on the practitioner and the teacher and lots of other factors....

ATH
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The suggestion of a meditation competition was supposed to be purely tongue in cheek. And a very, very funny joke at that.

But if you tried hard enough, Ben, and had the right equipment (EEG) and the right method of assessment (e.g. proportion of electrical activity at a certain firing frequency and/or speed at which you hit that threshold), then I suppose you could come up with a potential competition.

The problems with said competition would be such:

1) It isn't easy getting everyone at the same starting point.

2) People who are able to do something like produce the most alpha waves are inherently dull people. But then again, the same might be said of the high school chess champion. Not often the guy that nabs a date with the head cheerleader.

- Bill
Akil Todd Harvey

Karate competitions have about as much value as yoga competitions.......

Ok, so you're a top competitor, you have lots of trophies in which you won a fight in which both of you knew and abided by the rules for the most part, had the fight monitored by trained people who would break it up in case things got out of hand, and you knew exactly where and when the fight was gonna be and you fought only folks nearly approximating your age, size, and gender.....

Arguments could be made for or against karate competitions (karate is about self defense, not sport in which your life is not in danger).

Karate competition is the way to test your meddle outside of life and death situations. While the competitions may be watered down to various degrees, it is the best manner in which to test your abilities short of hanging outside of bars looking for a fight........

The parallels between martial arts and yoga are very interesting......There are purists and traditionalists and then there are those who seek to broaden its appeal and make it more appropriate to their lfiestyle choices.....

Ted, Bill, Spike, Benzo, thanks for sharing......
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Among the many interesting things you can find in LA, you will find businesses purporting to offer feline chircopractors.
Cat crackers! I love it. Expected from the state of california. Duh!!!
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
Halford

HERE'S MY TWO CENTS ON THIS!

Post by Halford »

:D Yoga is an ancient practice, too ancient to fully discuss here, but I am sure the Old Masters would certainly look askance at this latest practice,except the fact is that some yogis, mostly fakirs(not fakers), often did stunts, like killing tigers with bare fists and smashing bricks....while others sat quietly in caves meditating without the elaborate postures and extreme poses so fashionable today! Nevertheless, yoga and martial arts are related, believe it or not! Some but not all poses and postures have or had martial application,which I hope to show sometime in a future issue of FILIPINO MARTIAL ARTS when I can get the contributors and experts materials assembled for publication,etc. Consequently, this exhibition should not be condemned outright but seen as an attempt to make yoga more public although there are other ways. In the 1950's when I started modestly doing yoga, it was hardly known among the general populace save for a few things,etc. Now it is the rage, along with other such things that once only an handful knew or practiced. This is in part due to the large breakthrough in communications these days. More information is available and more books,magazine, videos,etc. are there for all to see. The result is that nearly everyone candispense with a master or expert if they wish and many are now 'highly video-trained" if you know what I mean by this! Exhibitions of power yoga, strength yoga, and competitions are interesting,no doubt, but what distinguishes them from acts of contortionism,from which both yogis(woudl-be),gymnasts, and martial artists could learn some things? We can all learn from other athletics as well:
Akil Todd Harvey

Halford,

Thanks for the reply, I am most interested in how different people react and respond. I posted this to point out the ironies of the Yoga craze and the parallels between it and the various martial arts crazes that have come and gone since Bruce Lee all the way through to Tae Bo (which got its share of criticism here on this forum, for example) and beyond.

Although I have been doing yoga for most of my life, it is not the kind of "traditional yoga" that you would see in a Yoga class.

I read with interest your insights because as a martial artist, I have been using Yoga for increasing strength & flexibility for literally years and generally keep quiet about it since most everyone else seeems to be kind of wedded to the notion that strength training comes only through weight lifting.

Perhaps it would have been more ideal to just come out and say it, "I do yoga and I enjoy it", but then people would ask what kind you do, and I would have to say, "I dont know", I just do various stuff I learned when I was a kid or other stuff I picked up along the way from various books on yoga. No credit given for independent study. Thanks, have nice day.

ATH
Halford

There are a number of rather attractive books on yoga now!

Post by Halford »

While in Borders recently, I was amazed at the rather expensive, lavish, but well-photgraphed books on yoga, some of which could be considered controversial in certain aspects. The early books usually depicted intricate poses done by skinny, emaciated yogis from India or their Western disciples. It is interesting to read the exploits and bios of Wester yogis, those who have 'abandoned' the ways of the West for the Path of Yoga(all varieties) etc. Sometimes their particular devotion to a Master is quite touching as is the problems they often encounter. The Way of the Yogi or the Way of Yoga is one of three basic paths in life. Anyway, as many have pointed out: to achieve anything in yoga, you have to accept much without knowing where you will end up! :D

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”