Body conditioning when alone?

Lets look at the different ways conditioning is performed in China, Okinawa and elsewhere. What have we learned about this subject to support and dispute the "old" ways.

Moderator: Kevin Guse

AAAhmed46

Body conditioning when alone?

Post by AAAhmed46 »

How do you condition your body when you have no partner without hurting yourself with a wooden stick?

For my fingers, im doing an exersize rick told me about, but what can i do for the rest of my body?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Beat on a post or makiwara , kick a table leg ,

I like using my Tonfa ....

yes it helps to be nuts ....
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Rubber mallet is nice for the beginner’s arms.

Baseball bat lightly for the thighs.

Toe kick anything solid.

:D
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Rubber mallet is nice for the beginner’s arms.

Baseball bat lightly for the thighs.

Toe kick anything solid.

Alright! awsome! Should i use the bat? for my stomach as well?
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Toe kick anything solid.
Careful on that from painful (still is experience)
Walls i.e. baseboards BAD as no give so joints take full load, maybe I`m only one of few that developed problems from toe conditioning to what I now think was rather extreme but just heads up. When you kick humans there is give whether you feel it or not. Even breaking boards has give to it (even better if boards held do break). Half tire mounted on a wall or post works well
Léo
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Bowling pin for the arms and legs. Also if you check out auto body tools they make a rubber hammer that is tear drop shaped which works pretty well. If you need a makiwara check this out, either to buy or get ideas for making your own.
http://www.punchthings.com

Post by Guest »

Throw the medicine ball up in the air and let if fall on you while your laying on your back. Don't let it fall on your face though.. it'll break your nose! :D

If you've got a strong girlfriend like I got, you can get her to throw it at you as hard as she can... it's still not hard enough for me but it does the trick...
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I beat my arms together. Slam my fist into my thighs, and lightly toe kick the door jams.

Bill G does something with rolling pins.
TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Post by TheGreatWhiteBuffalo »

Throw the medicine ball up in the air and let if fall on you while your laying on your back.
We use to get crazy with that big medicine ball you had.[/url]
Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
Uechi/Student

Post by Uechi/Student »

hey guys! if you search the forum...it's in van's section...there is a thing on conditioning from the older gentleman w/ the ponytail. ( the uechi -phenom ) his name escapes me , but alot of the things you're talking about , he said they were unhealthy & do not benefit the "artist". please do the search. no one needs to be side-lined....
M.
Mark
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Never been sidelined by conditioning yet. :wink:

Moderation and use your head and you should always be fine. :idea:

Post by Guest »

TheGreatWhiteBuffalo wrote:We use to get crazy with that big medicine ball you had.
Remember that time you hit me so hard with it that I "poopied" (correct term edited for kiddies) in my Gi Pants in the Dojo? HAH HAH! that sucked man! I had to throw my undies away... Nothing worse then Freebawlin' in a karate gi! :D
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

"Moderation and use your head and you should always be fine"

I did work out with a guy that litterally tried to condition his head (assuming he could prevent KO`s) by having me throw a medicine ball at it repeatedly.This was long ago and certainly not a Uechi thing. I was with a rogue group then and some things were extreme . However, I drew the line from my own neck up. Using tools such as "sounding boards", rolling pins, and made a spring loaded device that swung a bar that I would block with arms/legs (would of been one heck of a mouse trap :lol: ) I thought I conditioned my body quite effectively and some parts were just prepared to accept pain so I could "rumble" with little fear of being hit
:twisted:
There is a price to pay if you don`t use your head and damage instead of condition. Nice to speed the conditioning process but experiment with care...keep in mind the objective or goal of conditioning.

PS The head (brain) can not be conditioned of course and this day and age if anyone asks you to help them do so get a lawyer before proceeding as you may need one.
Léo

Post by Guest »

Believe it or not.. i've tried that... and hurt my neck.
:lol:
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

The Bronze Dago wrote:Believe it or not.. i've tried that... and hurt my neck.
:lol:
:lol: :wink:
Léo

Return to “Body Conditioning”