Other Ways

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

david

Other Ways

Post by david »

At different times, my mind and/or body need to step out of MA training. Yet, I need to have something that challenges mentally and physically.

When stepping out, I tend to drift towards activities that are solitary, e.g. running, biking, hiking/backpacking, hunting, fishing. This fall, I've taken to seakayaking. I enjoy the retreat to the self. I am also attracted by the technical aspects and the inherent risk involved with certain activities. Nothing like flipping over in deep water with low 40 water temp to realize, "Oooh... not a good thing to have happen when out alone."

The activities I pursue seem to complement my MA's, especially when it comes to the idea of self-sufficiency, spirit development and recognition of one's mortality.

What are your "other ways" and how do you see them benefiting?

david
gmattson
Site Admin

Other Ways

Post by gmattson »

As a person who spends so much time involved with the martial arts, my "other ways" of engaging my body and mind have varied over the years.

I was obsessed with fast cars and ***** in the 60s and 70s. Did lots of time trials, gymkanas and probably would have gone on to the race circuit had my car not blown it's engine during race school at Limerock CT and I decided it was time to move on.

In the mid 70s and 80s I discovered motorcycles. Did a lot of dirt riding and experienced hill climbing, desert trails and mountain riding in California and Mexico. For years a group of us would meet at the Plymouth Reservation and race the trails there and along the powerlines down to the Cape.

Did a lot of bass fishing in Jamestown RI during the 70s. May try to find my ancient rod and reel and give Bill Bauknecht a call one day soon.

Anyone who reads these pages know that my main hobby today is golf. I try to get out early in the morning at least four days a week. . . Nothing as beautiful as standing on a tee, overlooking a marsh filled with wildlife. . . sun rising in the distance. . .

During the winter, I still play providing there isn't too much snow on the ground.

My biggest pleasure though, remains Saturday mornings at the "Hut"!

------------------
GEM
Stryke

Other Ways

Post by Stryke »

Hi , for variety i hit the gym , run , hike , hit the beach occasionally surf , but say once a year or so ill actually take time out to really do little as possible

Ive found that at times i really need time out from martial arts , Ill cut right back and just do a litle and before i know it im usually itching to get back into it .
hsohn

Other Ways

Post by hsohn »

Skydive. physical exertion level is low but coordination required as you execute more complicated moves is tremendous. Mentally very challenging sport. Plus definitely a spiritual experience once you get past the adrenaline rush. and to your specific points: Definitely requires self-sufficiency and if jumping won't help you recognize your mortality, you are too stupid to do it for long.

Nothing like it on the planet.
Bill Glasheen

Other Ways

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Funny... I can remember in 1972 how someone told me that many skydivers were also martial artists. We had a crew at UVa in the 1980s that did karate AND skydiving together. They have since scattered to the wind (Oooo...bad pun, I know).

My old boss did both surfing and rock climbing, and used to drag me along now and then. I found both to be wonderful diversions, and they are both great compliments to martial arts. The balance required for surfing transfers well to arts where centering is an important issue. The Uechi system with its grabs and its unique "pointy" striking surfaces uniquely benefits from a rock climber's grip. In some ways (not all...), the rock climber is better off than the fellow that walks with the jars in sanchin. Only the thumb is lacking in development. The nice thing about both those activities is that they are wonderful diversions that offer their own rewards as well as unique groups of people to meet and play with.

Hmmm...maybe its about time I gave Larry a call.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Other Ways

Post by Bill Glasheen »

...And as much as I have tried to get number 1 son interested in martial arts (it's...evolving), I find that he really enjoys many of the sports activities of my youth. When I was his age (nine), my goal in life was to play baseball for the Boston Red Sox. Some dreams come and go, but I had many good years of play. This Christmas I (er...Santa) bought number one son a second glove. I also noted that number 2 son (now three) was tossing things with his left hand. My dad reminded me of the scholarship potentials of a good lefty (only half kidding...), and so I went out and bought (for the first time ever) a glove for a lefty. Trust me...I now know why lefties feel so slighted. Ever try getting a lefty mitt for a kid that age? They don't make many southpaw mitts to start with, never mind any for a kid that small. Anyhow we all enjoyed a "catch" between XMAS and New Years, and it conjured up a lot of old memories. That was something my dad and I used to do quite often - usually prompted by him. It was reminiscent of the final scene in A field of Dreams, only this time I'm the old faht. Sigh...

Rich Castanet also turned me on to the many batting cages (with pitching machines) that we have around here. My son really has taken a liking to them. Even when he could barely hold the bat, he could at least get the bat in front of the slow-pitched softballs. That was a great start, and he loved it. Picture bat hitting ball, and the bat going back farther than the ball went forward... Image It's priceless! At least he connected!!!

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Other Ways

Post by Bill Glasheen »

George

I similarly have had and still retain the need for speed. On the two-wheeled variety, I started out with a used 500 cc BSA Royal Star. After selling that piece of junk in several pieces, my next bike was a 1977 Suzuki GS-750 (bought in fall 1976). I rode it every workday for 2 years (even in a few Virginia snowstorms). I even met David Finkelstein and Bobby Campbell for the first time (May 1977) during a 2 week long motorcycle trek up and down the east coast. I still remember my Hancock Street workouts on that trip. But many youthful vices become difficult to justify with others around... Image

I still retain my motorcycle certification on my driver's license. Don't ask me why, but many a friend and karate student have entrusted me (encouraged even) with their Harleys. I guess they think it fits me these days. And for those that don't know me, I don't have a gut and I have no tatoos. Image I guess I would classify as the "yuppie" owner type.

I still drive fast...when I can get away with it. But it's more and more difficult to do these days. Number one son always wonders why dad is driving faster than the speed limit. Sigh...

Plus...the Mercury Villager isn't quite a speed demon. Image I only dream of the Audis and BMWs that I'd really like to own... Difficult to justify when you get too d***ed responsible...

- Bill
candan

Other Ways

Post by candan »

Being a Scout leader is my means of developing additional self-sufficiency, spirit development and yes in a sense possible mortality when at the mercy of 15 teens during a wilderness winter camp Image Sleeping under the stars lulled to sleep by the sounds of nearby coyotes..my spirit refueler.

[This message has been edited by candan (edited January 08, 2002).]
hsohn

Other Ways

Post by hsohn »

Then you should really skydive. Feel the need for speed? Try 120 average(though some of the head down guys routinely break 200) without a car and best of all-no cops!!! Add in 360 turns at speeds that get your body and chute parrallel to the ground and you'll know why, now more than ever, I can't keep my feet on the ground.

And while it seems like an expensive hobby, I have never had to pay a lawyer for it, explain it to a judge, or had my D-license revoked for going to fast. Again, the best part is no cops!!!
Stryke

Other Ways

Post by Stryke »

Sensei Glasheen , i hope you werent implying that BSA werent the greatest motorcycle manafacturer ever Image

I forgot to add riding and restoring motorbikes as a interest , still love the old brit paralell twins
Bill Glasheen

Other Ways

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hmmm.... I'll be diplomatic here. Get rid of the Lucas electrical systems and the Smith gauges, and you do have to admit that the British know how to engineer in a certain je ne sait quoi. I know more than a few Delorean owners that wished their prize vehicles didn't have those nasty parts. And yet nothing looks, sounds, rides, and feels like a BSA, Norton, Triumph, Jaguar, Delorean, or MG.

My feelings about the vehicles are 1) they suffered from a serious lack of quality assurance, 2) they weren't very forgiving (my sister can keep her 2 Jags running forever; someone like me will ride one hard and kill it), and 3) the British government destroyed much of the motorcycle and automobile industry when they were under government control (that's a function of government controlling anything, and not the Brits per se). There may yet be hope for what's left of a now multinational U.K. auto industry (e.g., Jaguar/Ford).

- Bill
Stryke

Other Ways

Post by Stryke »

Heh 100% true

but then again with some things its better to have style before substance Image
TSDguy

Other Ways

Post by TSDguy »

Skiing... for many of the same reasons listed for skydiving. What a great feeling to have to rely on your body and reflexes to avoid that tree around the turn you took way too fast for anyone's safety! What a weird feeling to be turning so sharply and leaning so steeply that your hand is on the ground and your legs are straight! Reminds me of sparring.

The absolute silence of a forest covered by 4 feet of snow is nice too. Very relaxing. Reminds me of a form or meditating at the begining of class.
RACastanet

Other Ways

Post by RACastanet »

For me it is the sports car with the top down, even in the winter. I have an MGB, complete with the despised Smith's gauges, Lucas electrics, and the cross flow carbs. However, if you treat them properly , they will treat you well. And there is nothing like the purr of a British exhaust....

Except for my rag top '87 Corvette. God bless Detroit and large V8 engines. The grumble of Chevrolet Iron is something special. It is not so much how fast it goes (100 plus in 2nd) but just how quickly it gets there! Ahhhhhh. It will be 60 tomorrow afternoon so which one shall I take out after work for a ride in the country?

Rich
david

Other Ways

Post by david »

Downhill Skiiing!!! I like that one too. Used to be an avid skiier. Puts me on the "edge", especially since I shattered my left tibia in a bad jump when I was a teen. That always sits somewhere in the mind when I go down the hill.

I love skiing the edges -- that 15'-20' right next to the tree line that most folks avoid because of the potential disaster. Here in the NE where hard packed powder (read: ice) is common in the middle of the trail, the edges offer the best skiing on fluffy stuff. On a good run, it is "MUSHIN." No thought. The loose hips and shock absorbing knees take over. A pivot here and there, a jump over an unavoidable mogul, the wind in the face, and the trees zooming by in the peripheral. Yeah, I am a damn bird just blasting down!!! Image

Too bad, downhill is way too expensive for me these days. Mostly x-country with wife and kids these days. Over the new year, we did hit the slope but the kids and wife wanted to snow tube. I was on my own. Initial runs, the legs and hips were stiff and I felt tentative. Got the old feeling back in the later runs. Ran out of gas after 8 runs. My legs were rubber and my quads were sore for several days after.

Skydiving... Don't know about that! Image But the motorcycle thing attracts me. There is a full weekend course at Hanscom field that a friend of mine went through. You take the course, pass their test, and emerge with Mass motorcycle license. Might do it some day. Yeah, I still have a vision once in awhile of biking down an open road... sun and scenery in the horizon, wind running through my hair, the call of adventure... Okay, okay, maybe a bit of a middle age, male fantasy on my part... Image

david

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”