Ki- Ai

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Benjamin R Hathaway

Ki- Ai

Post by Benjamin R Hathaway »

I have a question about Ki Ais and Uechi Ryu. When I studied before under an Okikukai affiliated Uechi school we were told to Shout or Ki Ai (spelling?) on certain strikes during the Kata. I now am studying under a Uechi Ryu USA school and am told that we don't use them in Uechi Ryu. I am curious what the general consesus for many of you all.
gmattson
Site Admin

Ki- Ai

Post by gmattson »

Welcome to the forums, Benjamin.

While studying on Okinawa during the mid 50's, none of the dojo I visited or worked out in, performed a Kiai in their kata. I'm not sure when this practice started, but I suspect it had something to do with the influence of Japanese karate.

There is lots of Kiai in Japanese karate and at some point, the younger Okinawan teachers began to put kiai into their kata and kumite. . . at first for demonstration purposes, then eventually in dojo practice.

I'm not commenting on the value or no value of the kiai. . . simply passing along information.

------------------
GEM
Bill Glasheen

Ki- Ai

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Benjamin

There's much variation and research on breathing in the Uechi system at this present time.

The truth is that this system is very simple at its core (sanchin, seisan, sanseiryu, body conditioning). It also contains fundamental elements of movement that are central to many martial arts systems - striking and grappling alike. Furthermore, it's also easily practiced as either an internal or external system (check with Joe Belone on this). Because of this, it's very easy to layer in one's personal preferences, or merge the system with others that share some of its core principles.

A good kiai never hurt anyone. Frankly it's very helpful for folks who have a difficult time developing that "glare in the eyes" that is so essential to authentic Uechi ryu practice.

When in Rome... Image

- Bill
Glenn

Ki- Ai

Post by Glenn »

I've experienced both. My first Uechi Ryu instructor in the mid 1980s never taught a kiai. My current instructor teaches a kiai with the the last strike at the end of kata (except Sanchin). When I started with my current instructor I was initially uncomfortable with kiai, I'm more the silent type after all, but I currently find it is interesting to experiment with selectively using kiai to see what effects it has. I doubt I would ever actually use a kiai in a real situation though. I am glad my current instructor only has us kiai at the end of the kata, I doubt I would ever be comfortable with one of those styles/schools/teachers that has students kiai with every single strike in the kata.

------------------
Glenn Humphress
Lincoln, NE
Shadowhands

Ki- Ai

Post by Shadowhands »

Ki-Ai's are both external and internal.

Within the experience of Kata, Basics or any movements within karate. Our internal ki-ai should be constantly used and expressed. The shout is the audible/external expression of our spirit. Many call it the unifying moment of the external and internal.

In any case both are good, however the internal ki-ai should be used constantly.

Good Discussion

All my opinion

Shadowhands.

------------------
My world.....the Life of Peace....the Art of War....the Way of the Warrior.
Van Canna

Ki- Ai

Post by Van Canna »

The concept of “kiai” is sound __as expressed here by the contributors.

I am sure that the kiai in kata serves a useful purpose in many ways, but I have never felt comfortable doing it in kata; in fact I felt a bit self-conscious doing it.

However, in free style, I would kiai more often than not, especially in tournament play, when delivering power shots or takedowns.

In kata, the explosive breathing concept that I use [power breathing] takes care of the kiai “cultivation” __ something done internally in kata, being groomed to go external when in need.

Also, in real fights, a kiai must be used and timed judiciously, or it will lose psychological impact on the opponent quickly.

Doing kata with one kiai or so, is okay if you are so inclined, but anymore __ it would sound ridiculous, much like the punching drills we have some of our children do on the floor achieving noise pollution more than anything else.

------------------
Van Canna
Allen M.

Ki- Ai

Post by Allen M. »

I use a deep kiai at various places in different kata to release generated energy which otherwise would get trapped. When I do this, there is usually a tremendous feeling of a rush of power from my center out the striking limb that extends beyond where I made the strike.

Sometimes during kata I never make a sound, but when I do it varies when I do it as well as the intensity. I don't feel self-conscious because to me it is absolutely necessary.

When I used to spar, I'd do the kiyup thing to help me go through the defenses offered against my attacks as well as sometimes when I blocked as well.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Benjamin R Hathaway

Ki- Ai

Post by Benjamin R Hathaway »

Thank You all for your quick replies to this post. I'm glad that when I test for my black belt one day I won't get points taken off if I accidentally let out a good yell during a kata ;-)
Rick Wilson

Ki- Ai

Post by Rick Wilson »

A good topic.

First, I also believe that a well used Kia can be a good and useful thing although I do not use it in Uechi kata.

George Sensei stated: "While studying on Okinawa during the mid 50's, none of the dojo I visited or worked out in, performed a Kiai in their kata. I'm not sure when this practice started, but I suspect it had something to do with the influence of Japanese karate."

I think this is very true. I have seen schools with close Kobudo links introduce a Kia. I have also heard one explanation is that adding the Kia meant kata received better marks in tournaments.

Whatever, I think the bottom line is that Uechi Ryu did not come with a Kia. It is an addition. Leave it up to your school/organization. It doesn't hurt if not over used. I say that because a Kia needs to be fully committed and this will affect the style of breathing used in Uechi Ryu, unless you are very good at reverse breathing.

I would also ask those whose schools use a Kia to please work diligently at it. Nothing I hate more that a "peep" meant as a Kia. Sorry, personal pet peeve.

Rick
Uechij

Ki- Ai

Post by Uechij »

Benjamin, The kiai is a very devious technique if preformed properly that takes advantage of a human beings inability to use more than one sense at a time. That is not say that you can't hear and see at the same time but rather you cannot focus two senses at one time. This is a proven fact. When someone is focusing with their sight in anticipation of attack, then unexpectantly receives an audible input, they are temporarily blinded, or as we commonly call it, "they freeze up." In the few milliseconds that the sound is being processed by the brain, the sight stimulus is put on hold or rather shifted to hearing. The brain can only deal with one input at a time. They will be able to see the oncoming attack but will not be able to react until the brain has delt with the prior stimulus. A good example of this is to try focusing your peripheral vision at the same time you are looking staight ahead. It's impossible. Now, don't get me wrong, you can develop the switching time between the two, as well as between other senses, but you cannot focus both at once. Another example to look at is golf, tennis, or archery. Just before the ball is struck or arrow is released, the athlete expects silence from the audience so he can focus his sight on the delivery to the target. I suspect this is why most martial arts classes are taught in a quiet atmosphere. The instant the kiai is executed you make your strike. The kiai must be performed properly to be effective. It must come from the "gut" with the throat wide open and be loud. It cannot be a peep like previously mentioned. I was never taught in my tradional training to kiai nor do I teach my students to do so while preforming kata or prearranged kumite. However I do impliment the use of it during sparring (and of course on the street). Remember, it has to be developed. It is very effective and has always worked for me, especially against the superior opponent. For further investigation, check out a book or two on sports pyschology. Hope this helps, Uechij
2Green

Ki- Ai

Post by 2Green »

Uechij:
I believe you are right on the money with this one , except for one point. Please bear in mind I am a student not an expert!
In Uechi Ryu, it is my understanding that one of the purposes of the "glare" is to train your vision to include peripheral activity without actually centering on it visually.
At first you can only see what you are looking at straight ahead, but as we train to intercept motion while staring into the opponent's eyes, a widening of the field of perception (within vision) seems to grow.
Here's an example:
Try walking through a crowded shopping mall while only staring straight ahead, not continuously darting visually from closest obstruction to next-closest, etc.
It is my experience that you can soon navigate smoothly through the crowd without ever looking directly at any one person.
Somehow a mechanism arises to guide you through the maze and it seems to be a widening of the field of perception to match the field of vision which already extends to the periphery.
This is what I try to cultivate in training when I work on the "glare", in addition to staring down the opponent which is also an important component...I think.
Uechij

Ki- Ai

Post by Uechij »

2Green:
You are absolutely right about the glare. Your training should develop the range of your peripheral vision. However, I am not referring to the range here, rather the ability to process information between the separate fields of vision(or even senses). Basically we have two fields of vision, linear(out in front) and Peripheral (out to the side). Now, as you glare straight ahead in this crowded shopping mall you will probably focus on a point or movement in front of you. If you navigate through the crowd then your focus will change. Your eyes might not move but your incoming stimulus will change if you focus on something that catches your eye from the side. As you are processing this information from the peripheral, your linear sight will be temporarily blinded (were talking milliseconds here). You can still see to the front but cannot process this information until the fields switch back again (what I am trying to say here is you can change these fields without physical movement of the eyeball. A good trained mind can oscillate between these senses or fields so quickly that them seem to become one in the same). Mr. Darren Laur shows us an excellent example of our inability to process several stimuli simultaneously in a post he wrote under Mr. Van Canna's Self Defense Realities forum. It's entitled: Edged Weapon Tactics/Counter Tactics. In this post, he gives us a scenario of highly trained officers who were surprised during a routine training seminar. He had their attackers pull out a rubber knife and state “I’m going to kill you pig!” The officers had know idea this was planned. If memory serves me correct, I believe 72/85 officers did not realize that they were being assaulted with a knife until the scenario was over. The reason for this had to do with the fact that they were focusing on some other point (or the audible statement) and by the time they were able to process the peripheral information (the hand with the knife) it was to late. Please read his post as he has done a much better job of explaining this. I hope this clears up any confusion I might have created, Uechij
Allen M.

Ki- Ai

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Benjamin. Uechi Kiais remind me of Crackerjax -- a surprise in every box.

Just listen to Van Canna's TC students popping-off their kata and you's swear there was a kiai inside every strike. Van knows how to open the box.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”