New guy in class

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

f.Channell

New guy in class

Post by f.Channell »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I have a new student who has a mental handicap.
I am told he is "high function". The first class went well as we practiced basic kicking and punching and some basic blocking. I then led him and the class through a Sanchin and he followed along well. As is typical of a new student of Uechi he was awkward but followed along well. Understood instruction and had a great attitude.
I wasn't given any info on him but he had a helper who brought him to class and waited for him in the Dojo. The helper said whe will wait in the waiting room next time.
Any advice from anyone who has trained mildly retarded folks in the past.
Anything to watch out for?
As I have a great group of students they all enthusiastically wanted to help teach him as well.
They practiced separately in the back at different points in the class as they were all brown belts.
Made me real proud of my group.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
John Giacoletti

Mildly Retarded Student

Post by John Giacoletti »

You might want to check for a student who is well-motivated, energetic and tries hard but who may not have a reostat installed and can't lighten-up or soften his touch in certain situations.

Over time you might notice the student struggles to transfer the moves in a kata and understand their application in bunkai.

But all the joys of teachng and seeing the student learn are there. The student will develop, grow, and bloom physically and in terms of character.
There is much to make of every moment.
Sochin

Post by Sochin »

He will teach you how to teach him, himself.

Be patient with lapses in memory.

Don't rush / push with special teaching.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”