So, have the forums jumped the shark?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

harlan

Post by harlan »

'Trolls' come in all sizes. I've noted, that depending on the moderation, it can liven a forum...or burn it down.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Trolling is worse on some sites than it is on here. On some sports sites for example (baseball games on SI.com), trollers regularly talk trash and generally disrupt things. Unless they say something absolutely offensive, the site moderator tends to let them stay and talk trash. So users find ways either to ignore them (usually works) or gang up on them with clever, insulting banter.

As Van says, every site has its own moderator, and each chooses to handle things in his/her own way. I tend to be a bit more tolerant, and allow the community to take care of itself. It's my academic background I guess. Sometimes minority viewpoints have something interesting to say.

None of us - moderators included - are beyond reproach in character. We're all human and we all look at the world through our own glasses. This is however a reason to have forums where we present ideas and allow "the peanut gallery" to pick at them. It is our own real-time peer-review process. If in the discussions the ideas tend to survive, then perhaps there's something to them. But sometimes new viewpoints go against the existing paradigm, and are met with reflexive protest by the community. And so words are exchanged, which can lead to testy dialogue. It's in these delicate situations were a moderator's job is most important.

If someone wants to have their posts edited on any forum, there's one easy way to do it - just insult the moderator. In general said posts will disappear on my forum w/o comment, as if by accident. Oops!!! :oops: :lol:

- Bill
robb buckland

Post by robb buckland »

"Looking at the view counts of some threads they look more like monologues than dialogues and that taint good."

I dont think the counts are down because of the economy. I end up coming and going because of access...I appreciate the spirited few who remain.....thanks and respect to GEM for providing !! :D
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

None of us - moderators included - are beyond reproach in character. We're all human and we all look at the world through our own glasses.

I agree with Bill here. We are all different...we all make mistakes that we try to rectify one way or another, sometimes we succed some time we don't...that's life.

Anyone who criticizes the ways of moderators...well...it is a tough job...notwithstanding the fact we are paid handsomely...like $100K a year under the table. :wink:

So you critique....you ask for a forum...and see how long you can last day in and day out. 8)

The real idiots are the ones who will challenge the 'pecking order' which is another fact of life :wink:

Somehow they think they can get wise with a moderator ... and sure enough they get flushed down the toilet like the morons they are even as they roll their monkey barrels down the hill thumping their chests. :lol:

On my forum I have ZERO tolerance as some have found out the wrong way :wink:
Van
robb buckland

Pecking Order

Post by robb buckland »

:D
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

MikeK wrote: I don't think it's the economy folks
I don't know about anyone else, but the economy is the main reason why I have been visiting and posting less. You'd think after getting laid off in April I would have more time for the forums, but the wife advocated my home-bound status as more time to work on projects around the house, and who am I to argue with the bread-winner! And now I am full-time in grad school again, getting ready for a semester of teaching, studying, researching, and other assundry tasks assigned to me. I might be able to visit these forums again in December...yep, I believe I can pencil it in on my calendar at 3:00pm on December 22. :lol:
Glenn
Chris McKaskell

Re: Pecking Order

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Robb found 'pecking order' funny...

It was the way Van worked 'Monkey Barrels' into his post that made me laugh.

I'm not inclined to embrace any big changes myself (I'm okay with the current pecking order and am averse to rolling monkey barrels - and I already get a lot of benefit out of the forums as they are), but I wonder if MIKEK (or any one else) has any concrete suggestions for improvements they would like to see -- in the spirit of continued improvement?

Seems like an opportune moment to present ideas because the decision makers are listening.
Chris
robb buckland

Weeeell Monkeys too !

Post by robb buckland »

"rolling monkey barrels"

:lol: :lol:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

Van

How do I put in my request for that $100k under the table?

John
It's what we do!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rising Star wrote:
Van

How do I put in my request for that $100k under the table?

John
What's the matter, John? You didn't get the memo?

Hell... George gave me a 100% raise this year!

- Bill
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

Damn!

Although it would likely be taxed at 125%

John
It's what we do!
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

dang...no one explained the perks to me for moderating..I thought this was just out of the goodness of my heart....hmmm...I need to talk to someone in authoritay!

Seriously, I like a lot of what Harlan had to say (as usual). I personally find disparate voices a great way to bring out the best discussions in some folks, as it challenges thier way of thinking and forces them to be more clear in both their thinking and expression of thier thoughts...that's the best side of it.

Worst side is when it quickly escalates to personal name calling and my X is better than your Y games...generally a waste of time. This is where moderators come in. The trick is to recognize what is crap and what is simply an opinion that differs from your own.

We are not perfect, and in truth, this is something we do in our spare time (which varies), so it will not always be a perfect system to all.

I would love to see more people participate, and I do think our tone can sometimes frighten off fragile newbies (unlike the stubborn ones like meself) that are afraid of being shot down. But as long as we have opinions and the forum to share them on...we will persist....and perhaps even learn something in the process!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I would love to see more people participate, and I do think our tone can sometimes frighten off fragile newbies (unlike the stubborn ones like meself) that are afraid of being shot down. But as long as we have opinions and the forum to share them on...we will persist....and perhaps even learn something in the process!
I agree. I do have to smile at some who don't post for this reason, because I can just imagine how they would be easily intimidated by 'street jive' if they fear the written word.

Many don't post because thay admit at being semiliterate, unable to put simple sentences together. :D
Van
robb buckland

Post by robb buckland »

ifn it wernt fer spellcheck id huv nttin ta say
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

One thing which was a habit of Abraham Lincoln was when he would become furious at one of his generals, admirals or cabinet members he would write a nasty letter to them calling them out for what they had done.

He would then fold it up and put it in his desk drawer for a few days. He would take it out sometimes rewrite it, sometimes throw it away.

I've wanted to take back a few e-mails and posts over the years.

Not bad advice from Uncle Abe. :)

And spell check doesn't hurt either.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”