The homeless: "Go get a job!"

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

AAAhmed46

The homeless: "Go get a job!"

Post by AAAhmed46 »

So i was talking to a friend.

This guy works a 'Funky Pickle Pizza'(anyone heard of it?)

Anyway, he tells me a homeless guy walks in and wants to speak with the manager.

So the manager comes out. He tells me the manager had a disgusted look on his face.

The homeless man asks if he can get a job.

The manager asks him to bring a resume.

Now do you think this manager would hire this homeless man regardless of the resume?

Do you think the homeless man knows how to make a proper resume, knows how to exaggerate like alot of people do?

BE HONEST: If you had to hire someone who walked into your store/business, and asked for a job who was obviously homeless, would you hire them?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Would you eat at a place called the funky pickle ?
Last edited by Stryke on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Yup I`d give them a shot .

But it would be after talking to them , The Homeless wouldnt be the factor but the kind of person I thought they were .
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Stryke wrote:Yup I`d give them a shot .

But it would be after talking to them , The Homeless wouldnt be the factor but the kind of person I thought they were .
I would too.

But does everyone have your charecter? Probably not.

Im not making accusations in this thread to anyone.

I just wanted to stimulate thought.

Because so many people say 'get a job'.

Im not saying they should not try, but people seem to say that all to often like its so simple.

Though i guess i do make the homeless seem so blameless.

And of coarse they are not.

I should have put focus on the other side of the arguement as well.

My bad.
Willy

Post by Willy »

AAAhmed46 wrote:I should have put focus on the other side of the arguement as well.

My bad.
THe Eco freaks would be pissed if folks started hiring the homeless.Think of the environmental impact, no one picking cans and bottles out of the waste stream. Think of the impact that would have on our landfills.

The "Enviromentals" would rise up and revolt over displacing these pillars of the recycling movement.

Your bad Adam. :roll:
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Marcus, the pizzas at that place are huge.

But man you get some major constipation.

Willy wrote:
AAAhmed46 wrote:I should have put focus on the other side of the arguement as well.

My bad.
THe Eco freaks would be pissed if folks started hiring the homeless.Think of the environmental impact, no one picking cans and bottles out of the waste stream. Think of the impact that would have on our landfills.

The "Enviromentals" would rise up and revolt over displacing these pillars of the recycling movement.

Your bad Adam. :roll:
I know :cry:

Yeah but how actively is such activity being endorsed?
And its so...governmenty.

Yes i do believe alot of homeless sometimes are there because they screwed up.

But alot do get back on thier feet, due to thier own effort and the existence of a social net. How tight should it be i guess is the real question.

Some of these guys should really lay off the sauce! Yeah maybe its fun, but if you have to choose between spending money on food and spending it on that crap then what the hell.

If Environmentalists ended thier beliefs to the limit that they dont want a city like Edmonton to become like L.A. is understandable.

But everything else....
Willy

Post by Willy »

AAAhmed46 wrote:If Environmentalists ended thier beliefs to the limit that they dont want a city like Edmonton to become like L.A. is understandable.
Like LA ? You mean like never having a chance of winning a Stanley Cup :wink:
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Willy wrote:
AAAhmed46 wrote:If Environmentalists ended thier beliefs to the limit that they dont want a city like Edmonton to become like L.A. is understandable.
Like LA ? You mean like never having a chance of winning a Stanley Cup :wink:
:lol:
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Im talking smog though.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Actually this reminded me of a time In London , I got asked for change by a homless guy , and instead offered him some work .

I said if he cleaned up the area outside our building I`d give him twenty quid , it probably would of taken 30 minutes .

But he didnt take the offer :( :?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

There are many kinds of "homeless", Adam. Marcus brings up a good point.

If a "homeless" person came in my pizzeria and asked for a job, I might give him a shot. Would it be making the pizzas or serving the customers? Not if he didn't have a clean set of clothes or needed a bath. On the other hand, I might start him out part time cleaning the floors and taking out the trash. If he showed up and on time on a regular basis, saved up enough money to bathe and wear decent clothes, and did a good job, he might get a raise and a promotion from me. On the other hand, he would lose his job first time he was late, showed up drunk, or didn't do what he was told. Fair is fair... And truth be told, restaurants need hard workers that do thankless tasks. Here in Richmond, we have a flood of Mexicans happily doing such work. The restaurant owners - and the Mexicans - couldn't be happier.

On the other hand, many homeless who "want work" don't want work. Here in Richmond we have people who sit at stoplights with signs asking for work, saying they are homeless or a Vietnam vet. Nine times out of ten if you offer them some work (you might need weeds pulled in your yard), they will say no. What they really want is for you to drop a dollar in their cup so they can get enough to buy another bottle of booze. They know the score; they're not as stupid as they look. The local TV station did a special on this once. They offered 5 such people work cleaning weeds behind the TV station. Only one of them accepted the offer. The rest couldn't be bothered.

Many "homeless" in this country are actually schizophrenic. There are laws protecting them from being institutionalized if they aren't a harm to themselves or others. It's a tough situation, and an unfortunate fact of life. You either allow them to wander aimlessly in the public, or lock them up in a "treatment facility." Until we get a cure for schizophrenia - and these people choose to undergo said treatment - then pick your poison.

- Bill
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Stryke wrote:Actually this reminded me of a time In London , I got asked for change by a homless guy , and instead offered him some work .

I said if he cleaned up the area outside our building I`d give him twenty quid , it probably would of taken 30 minutes .

But he didnt take the offer :( :?
Wow what a fool :x

Many "homeless" in this country are actually schizophrenic. There are laws protecting them from being institutionalized if they aren't a harm to themselves or others. It's a tough situation, and an unfortunate fact of life. You either allow them to wander aimlessly in the public, or lock them up in a "treatment facility." Until we get a cure for schizophrenia - and these people choose to undergo said treatment - then pick your poison.
Yeah thats a problem in canada as well.

You know though, some of these guys cant pay for thier medication to keep themselves stable. From what i understand, it can be vital.

Some refuse to take thier medication however, i know that is very common :evil:
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

When people beg my friend for money, he instead offers them a job at his construction company. It cracks me up because they always turn him down.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

TSDguy wrote:When people beg my friend for money, he instead offers them a job at his construction company. It cracks me up because they always turn him down.
Not ONE accepted it? 8O
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

Adam:

This article may be relevant:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/a ... 213fa_fact

Almost everyone who is homeless is homeless for less than a week. Most of the remainder are predictably seasonal, very few are chronic.

As a project for class in the eighties I spent a few days homeless in the biggest city in the state. It was a huge eye-opener, especially how the professional homeless talked and thought about straight society.

If it had been that place and that time, and the person asking for the job was professionally homeless, I could almost guarantee that he was in one of many programs that require him to apply for a certain number of jobs a week (and be turned down) in order to keep the check coming in.

The homeless who actually want the job clean up pretty well before they ask for it and are hard to identify as homeless.

Rory

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”